Chapter 50

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Blessings come in many disguises. There's always something to learn from everything we go through"- unknown

<s> Mrs. Reinhart </s> Mom,

I don't know how you were hoping I'd react to the news. Am I suppose to be thrilled that you <s> slept around </s> got yourself pregnant?

I'm angry with you. I want you to know just exactly how angry and disappointed I am.

You've never been able to take care of me. I've taken care of you. Now you want to bring this baby into the mix so you can play the dotting mom for awhile and then just leave me to handle it all. I'm not fixing this for you.

This <s> kid </s> is my family. I've always watched Derek and Hayden growing up and thought wow would I ever like a playmate. I'd have a built in best friend.

You can't take care of the baby. You know deep down that you can't promise the world. You need to fix your life first before you bring someone else in.

Do the right thing

Your daughter
Kahlia

**

A week after the surprising pregnancy news, I was stuck in a blur. I don't know how else to explain it other than  I continued my daily routine but I was only physically there. Emotionally and mentally, I was checked out.

I started to write more letters to my mom that went without being mailed.

The letters got more desperate.

We continued to wait to hear from her lawyer. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer took that as a sign she was thinking through her original plan. I thought she was creating a rise so that I would come visit her in a fit of rage.

I knew her well enough to know she was holding out for something. Perhaps she was waiting for someone to come tell her that she was making the right decision.

I couldn't think of anyone who would agree with her.

I must have fell asleep on the way home from visiting UBC with the Palmer family. Mrs. Palmer asked that Derek consider taking a tour of the school closest to home.

He was set on going to Ohio State the last time we talked about University.

"Pick her up carefully," Mrs. Palmer whispered, standing outside the van. "Don't drop her."

Hayden reached out to unbuckle my seat belt but Derek nudged him out of the way. "I got it."

Derek unbuckled my seat belt and put one hand under my knees and the other behind my back. He lifted me out of the seat, bridle style.

He carried me through the front door and up the stairs, settling me on my bed. He grabbed a blanket from the closet and placed it over me. Derek kissed my forehead softly and turned to leave the bedroom.