Chapter 34

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

I had to pretend for the sake of all that is normal that nothing happened between Spellman and I. Yes, we kissed but that's as far as it went.

Nothing happened.

Nothing will happen.

**

"Hey, sweetheart," Mrs. Palmer said, the teakettle rattled, spitting out steam. She poured the hot water over a teabag then wrapped her hands around the cup. "I've been meaning to talk to you about something.."

"Sure, what is it?" I asked sitting at the kitchen table, my knees underneath me. I felt like I should bring up what Mrs. Palmer and her family were doing, filtering my moms calls but I didn't have to heart to. I was just as bad---perhaps far worse than the secrets they had.

"Are you able to take anytime off from work? Mr. Palmer and I would like to visit a few schools with Derek sometime in the next couple of weeks, we thought we could make it into a family trip."

"I don't think I could. My boss would have difficulty finding someone to replace me."

"Surely if you give notice someone could replace you." Mrs. Palmer expelled a sigh. "We haven't decided on a date as of this moment but a few weeks notice should be fine."

"When you know tell me and I'll see what I can do. Okay?" I'll talk to Big Steve but she shouldn't get her hopes up.

"Excellent!"

"Hayden will come too?" I'm surprised if he has agreed to go. He's been hanging out with Aime quite a bit these days.

"He's agreed conditionally. He asked to bring Aime along."

"And your okay with that?"

"No," she said quickly, and then hesitated. "I'm willing to make an exception since this is important to Derek. He wants the family to be involved in his decision."

"Oh." I think it's good he wants to include his parents in his decisions. "Does Derek know Aime will come along?"

"I haven't told him about Hayden's one request. How do you think he'll take the news?"

"I think he'll be okay with it. If not you can always remind him of the times he brought uninvited people to family events."

Mrs. Palmer smiled at me. "Smart girl. I'll talk to him later tonight. Let's hope it goes well."

**

Dear Mom

I guess I should start off by saying I'm sorry though you'll never see this letter. I didn't know you were trying to get in touch with me. The Palmers thought they were protecting me by not letting me know you tried to reach me. It would have been nice to know all this time that you were thinking of me.