Chapter 68

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Do you remember the night the moon dropped from the sky?

And we ran through the forest to find out where it lie

I was tripping on tree roots and slipping on snow

You were holding my hand and saying not to let go

When we found it at least there were twigs in our hair

A rose on our cheeks and a breath in the air

And the words to describe it go caught in our throats

As its silver light dance through the threads of our coats

We knew that our eyes had not seen such a view

You were looking at it,

I was looking at you. " -Erin Hanson

I couldn't believe my ears. It would be easier to believe that in some countries it's perfectly natural for meat balls to fall from the sky.

I know Derek's parents. I lived with them and I watched how they interacted with the boys. I saw how they handled family problems and kicking a son out was never a potential solution.  Kicking out was never on the table even in the worst of situations.

They raised Derek and Hayden following the principal of authoritative parenting.  They had rules and they followed through with consequences. They allowed Derek and Hayden to voice their opinons and feelings----while making it clear that they were ultimately in charge. They were strict with their kids but they also made sure that they understand the reasons behind their rules.

   What makes kicking out Derek even harder to believe is---Mr. and Mrs. Palmer never encourage bad behavior. If the boys did something wrong----it was wrong and they would never condone that behavior. They didn't always agree with choices Derek or Hayden made but they always made sure to them that they love them unconditionally---no matter what.

Shouldn't they have told Derek that they don't agree with his decision but love him regardless? Isn't kicking him out a little extreme for a choice he made that wasn't a crime?

I don't get it.

We know we lied. We understand why they'd be very disappointed but it seems a little extreme for him to get kicked out --for lying.

I brought my knees to my chest as I sat on the couch next to Derek. "They kicked you out?

His leaned forward on the couch, resting his elbows on his knees, "I chose to leave, Lia. I think everyone needed time to cool off."

They needed time to cool off?

Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are two of the most relaxed and calm-centered people I've ever met.

"What did you tell them exactly Derek? That were together and you had sex with me in a hotel?" Do people have to get descriptive when their trying to be honest? Telling your parents that you had sex in a hotel room appears very tacky. Sleazy might be a better word. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping for my head to stop spinning. "This is a nightmare, Derek! I—they are never going to want to see me again!"