Chapter 14 - BAIT and WEAPONS

Asher Serano

I woke up at dawn and turned to see Ana sleeping beside me. I checked the time, and it was three in the morning. I only slept for three hours. Ana moved in her sleep, and her back was facing me, and I could see all the scars on her back.

I traced every one of them, and it's clear that someone tortured her, but who?

That witch or her biological mom?

"What are you doing?" She asked as she pulled her blanket to her chin.

"Who did this to you? You covered it so well last time." At the ball, she covered all of her scars that I didn't even notice.

"Ana," I called, and she turned her body, facing me.

"Why are you asking? Are you planning to help me kill them?"

"The witch is obviously on my list. Did she torture you?" I asked, and she let out a long sigh. There was a long pause, so I had to ask again, "Who?"

"Can I ask you something? Before I answer your question." She turned to me, and I nodded.

"Why do you insist that I join you when I know you have people who have more skill than me?" I stared into her eyes briefly before answering, "Your skeletons are called mine. I have a feeling that we both were cut from the same cloth."

"It was my biological mom." She answered as she sat up and leaned her body to the headboard.

"Do you want me to kill her?" I asked, and she looked at the ceilings blankly.

"I promised my brother that one day we will unite again and kill her together, but it'll be impossible since he's dead." She hugged her legs and turned to me.

"When I first saw you, I knew immediately that you're different. You're not here to enjoy your new life. You're here for revenge."

Ever since I met her, I can't stop thinking about her. It's like her soul screaming for help, for revenge. She's young, but she has a whole set of trauma and pain. I'm not here to heal her, and I just want to help her to find closure.

This is my first time helping someone, not only that... this is also my first time feeling such an attachment. I wanted her to be mine, to be by my side, and to conquer the world with me.

"Why did your biological parents hate you?" I asked in a cautious tone. "If you don't want to tell me, then don't. I don't want to force—"

"Because they only wanted my organs."

"Organs?" Did I hear her right?

"I can't believe I'm talking to you about this." She let out a sigh.

"If you don't want to tell me, it's okay," I assured her.

"My brother and I were conceived through two surrogates. They wanted kids, but somehow they couldn't have one. When I turned two, she suddenly got pregnant with twins. Even the doctors were confused with the sudden miracle." I pulled her closer to me, and she snuggled to me.

"The twins were born with lots of organ failures. It's a rare condition, and the doctors told them that they would need lots of organ transplants in two or three years. Without any hesitation, my parents turned to me and my brother. They told the doctors that they have two spares ready."

"And they start torturing you and your brother?" I asked in a tone that I never heard before, and she nodded, "What did they do to you?"

"They locked me in the basement, and became their maid. My mom gave the scars with a knife and sometimes a sharp hanger." Something within me started to boil, and I held her hand tightly.

"She still gave me good food because she will take my organs for the twins."

"How did you escape?"

"Can we talk about it some other time?" She turned to me, and I nodded, "Of course."

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"Listening to me. This is my first time having someone listening to my story." I gave her a peck on her cheek and got out of the bed

"Where are you going?"

"Office. I have work to do." I said as I put on all my clothes. I turned to her, and she looked at me blankly.

"I'll pick you up later." I smiled as I walked to her balcony door and opened it. I got down quickly and got into my parked car a block away. I went straight to the office and called Brooke.

"Where are you?"

"In the weapon room, Mr.Serano."

"Come to the lab." I hung up.

After five minutes, Brooke entered the lab, and I pointed him to sit before me.

"Do you need anything, sir?"

"I want you to track Anastasia's background. Find her biological parents, and I want you to tail them." He raised his eyebrows at me, wondering why he would do a background check on Ana.

"What?"

"Don't you need me to watch the new headquarters being built?"

"No." He looked like he was going to protest, but he ended up nodding his head.

"I also want Edel to guard Ana," I added as he got up.

"Edel? We need Edel. She's one of our best snipers." He protested.

"Just do as I say, Brooke." I gestured for him to leave, and he sighed before making his way out of the lab. I hacked into the Red Dog's database and looked for Ana's profile.

I read her profile and saw one name that made me want to scream in victory. I've been trying to find him for almost three years, and by having Ana around, he will come to me.

For now, Ana is just bait and a weapon. I will earn her trust and her loyalty, so later on, it'll be easy for me to control her and have her under my wings.

Fucking finally.

Everything will go according to plan.