CHAPTER THIRY-EIGHT - PART ONE/TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT - PART ONE/TWO

"How was your day with Dada?" I asked my son, Dion, as we sat together in the car.

"It was great! We rode the ferris wheel. Baby boy was super happy!" he exclaimed, his laughter filling the space between us.

"That sounds like fun," I replied with a smile. "Next time, you and I will go together."

"With my Daddy?" Dion's innocent question pierced through me, and I couldn't bring myself to meet his gaze. 

I could sense Kenzo's heavy sigh beside me, his presence a constant reminder of our shared past.

"I want to see my Daddy, Mommy," Dion's voice was tinged with sadness, and my heart clenched at his words.

I struggled to find the right response, the ache in my chest making it difficult to speak. Holding Dion close, I wished for nothing more than to ease his pain, but the reality of our situation weighed heavily on me.

Sobra na ba ako sa anak ko? Bakit sa tuwing hinahanap at tinatanong niya ang tungkol sa tatay niya, bakit parang ang sama ko ng ina sa kaniya. Bakit hindi ko magawang sagutin ang simpleng sagot niya.

"Mommy, who's my daddy?" he asked innocently, his wide eyes filled with curiosity as he tugged at my sleeve. "Mommy, where's Daddy?"

I paused, my heart clenching at his question. How could I explain something so complex to my little boy?

"Mommy, tell me about my daddy, please!" he pleaded, his small voice tinged with longing.

I sat properly beside him, trying to find the right words to shield him from the truth.

"Baby boy, your daddy. . . he's not here with us," I began carefully, watching his innocent face for any sign of understanding.

"Why not, Mommy? Where is he?" H.is innocent curiosity tugged at my heartstrings, and I struggled to hold back the tears threatening to spill.

I took a deep breath, mustering all the strength I had to keep my composure. "He's. . . he's far away, baby,"

"But why, Mommy? I want to see him," he persisted, his brow furrowing in confusion.

"I know, baby boy, but Daddy. . . Daddy had to go away for a little while," I explained, my voice barely above a whisper as I tried to mask the pain in my heart.

"But why, Mommy? Why did he go away?" His persistent questions left me at a loss for words, the weight of unspoken truths heavy on my shoulders.

"When will he come back?" he asked, his eyes searching mine for reassurance.

"I. . . I don't know, sweetheart," I admitted, the truth weighing heavily on my conscience.

I pulled him into a gentle hug, wishing I could shield him from the pain of reality.

"I'll tell you when you're older, okay? For now, just know that Mommy loves you very much," I whispered, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

As my son looked up at me with his innocent, curious eyes, I felt a tight knot in my chest. He was just four years old, too young to understand life's complexities and the harsh realities that accompany them. I couldn't bring myself to rob him of his innocence, especially at such a tender age.