chapter three

"So. I was thinking...Richards taking me to the party tonight..." Clare said, trailing off.
I smiled.
Every year when the end of the school year came, a huge party was thrown just inside the boundaries of the pack grounds. Other packs were invited, some wolves ven met their mates there.
"Richard and me thought maybe you would like to go," Clare said, bracing herself.
I realized she expected me to yell, so I did the opposite.
I laughed.

"Thank you, but no thanks. I have to finish cleaning," I said. It wasn't a lie to be honest...I did have to clean. Alphas orders.
"Angie, this is your birthday. We were literally just talking about you meeting your mate yesterday. Come on please?" Clare asked, her eyes all wide and innocent. I looked away and shook my head.

"Clare I just don't have the time, the alpha-"
"Thinks it's a good idea you should go. thank you Clare," Astion said as he walked into the kitchen, his eyes never leaving Clare. Clare didn't even look at him.

"See. Alpha thinks you should go. It's going to be FUN. I promise," Clare said before she shot out of her seat and hugged me.
Astion smiled evily from his new seat at the kitchen table.
Clare was right.
It was my birthday.
Today is a special day to always remember, why?
1. I'm turning 16.
2. I shift for the first time tonight.
And finally...I get to meet my mate.

------------

"Maybe I shouldn't go," I whispered as Clare brushed my hair.
"Seriously? No. You're going. Right Richard?" Clare asked.
Richard looked up from his phone and nodded.
"I'll carry you if she tells me to," he said with a smile.
I liked Richard. He was smart, funny and though I would never admit it to Clare, he was hot.
Really hot.

"See. Come on think of it this way. after you meet our mate, Astion will have no choice but to find another omega. It's against the law for a mated wolf to be in the omega position," Clare said.
I nodded. she was right. Astion wouldn't be able to hurt me after today. I would be free to live a normal life...whatever that felt like.

Richard sighed and stood.
"Alright darling, I'm off. Both of you be ready when I get back. Angie, If you try to back out one more time, I will carry you fireman style to the party. imagine the embarrassment," Richard said before he kissed Clare. He shook his fist at me before he disappeared down the hall.

"Aw, my knight in tainted armor. He's not joking you know," Clare said. I know. He definitely without a doubt was not joking. Clare wanted me there, so he would make sure I went.

The hours dragged by as Clare tried to pretty me up for my mate. She tried to make me feel better about meeting my mate but it wasn't working. I just knew something bad was going to happen.
I could feel it. Clare was so sure everything would go perfectly. That Richard, her, my mate and me would double date. She went on and on about everything we would do together, but I just wasn't feeling it. None of this felt right.

"Okay, ladies first," Richard said, pulling open the passenger side door. Clare curtsied and slid in.
Richard shut it behind her and opened the back door for me.
Once we were all in, he buckled himself in and we were off.

As we passed the pack houses, I started to feel homesick. I started to miss Clare, although she was right up front....crazy I know.
Richard tried to break the silence, turning on the radio and to my utter humiliation, he began singing along. Clare giggled and I found myself giggling too. He was singing off key just to make us laugh, which was so sweet. Richard was a sweet guy.

When we pulled off the road onto a dirt road leading into the woods, Richard turned off the music and the ride went back to being silent. I really didn't mind. It gave me time to think about stuff.
Like meeting my mate.
What would he be like?
Would he be loving and caring?
Or sweet and funny like Richard?
What would my wolf be like?
Would she like me?
Well...of course she would like me.
She is me.
I smiled and fold my arms over my chest.
When I got my wolf, I could attend training like everyone else and maybe this time I could get somewhere.