chapter twenty-four

{Eli}

"I don't see what we are supposed to be accomplishing by doing this," I said. Bane sighed and turned to face me.
"You don't think this is killing me? She's like a daughter to me," bane growled.
"Obviously not enough to let her slide," I growled.

"She broke the rules. I have let her slide way too many times and now MY head is on the line. I'm done," bane snapped at me.

"If I was alpha I wouldn't do this," I said under my breath.
Bane grabbed me by the throat and slammed me against the wall.
"Is that a challenge?" Bane growled, his mouth full of sharp teeth, inches from my throat.

"Back down, beta," bane growled, his eyes blood red.
I felt my wolf struggle against he authority in his voice. Bane was shaking violently and I could feel his wolf itching to get out.

"Alpha," a voice said from the door.
"What?" He snapped, turning his head to face the intruder.
His neck faced me, giving me the perfect target. My mouth filled with teeth and I shut my eyes, pushing my wolf back.

The alpha seemed oblivious to the struggle I was going through.
"Theyre waiting," the intruder said.
Seconds passed before I felt him standing even closer.
I opened my eyes and my wolf cowered in fear.

One of bane's eyes were red and the other was black. I could feel power radiating off of him, forcing me to cower.
"Know your place," He spat before he pulled away and closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Moments passed before he opened them and they were back to normal. He glanced at me before he straightened his shirt and turned, walking out of the room.

I stood there for a moment, fear eating through me before I took a deep breath and followed after him. The pack council was twenty strong. It consisted of bane, me, my eldest sibling or relative, the third in command, the eldest son of he alpha and the elders. To every trial, there was an audience and our audience consisted of one leader of each section of our pack.

I sat down beside bane and I felt my wolf bow to him in fear. Bane gave me a short nod before he faced the other council members and the audience. He quietly stated the reason we had gathered and then he did something I never thought he would do.

He welcomed the silver falls pack to the trial.
I watched as angelina's brother came and took a seat beside bane, their council taking the empty seats. The only ones remaining was angelinas and my sisters.

Bane nodded towards a man standing by the door on the other side of the room. The man nodded and pushed open the door.
I lowered my eyes when Angelina walked into the room. She looked so fragile. So scared. And she had a right to be.

The elders grew up in a cruel universe and were subject to things we never had to face. They had a different approach to things ad half the time...they weren't merciful.

The elders made up the majority of the pack council, which meant whatever they ruled, if the alpha agreed with them, which half the time the alpha did to please them, then their ruling was law.

My wolf stirred at the thought of what could happen to her, but the presence of bane was more than enough to quiet my wolf's protests.

Angelina came to a hault in the center of the room, keeping her eyes lowered to the ground. She knew better than to look at the alpha. It was like a challenge to him, to look at him at a time that you are so low. I never understood that and I don't think I ever will.

"Angelina sky falls," bane said in his alpha voice.
When she kept her eyes lowered, whispers flew amongst the elders. I didn't know if they were good whispers or bad.