chapter twenty-three

{Angelina}

"Oh, this is so good," I said as I licked at the ice cream in my hand.
"Whats good is watching you eat it. You're turning me on sweetheart," Jake said, his eyes on me.
I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and Jake bent over laughing.

"I'm joking," Jake said.
I narrowed my eyes as him before I continued walking, cautiously licking my ice cream cone.

"This is so much better than resting," I said. Jake chuckled.
"Really?" He asked. I nodded. It was so much better. I looked up at the darkening sky and sighed. Alpha bane would be worried.

"Maybe we should head back," I suggested. Jake glanced at me before he smiled.
"Race ya!" He said suddenly before he took off running. I stared in shock at him before I tossed my ice cream in a nearby trash can and took off after him.

I watched him shift just up ahead and I growled. He wanted to play now did he?
I shrugged out of my shirt and kicked off my jeans. Just as I hit the outline of the woods, I jumped, shifting mid-air.

I raced through the woods, following Jake's scent.
I seemed to be getting further and further away from the pack house. Maybe I should turn and go back.

Chicken jake said.
I growled when I caught sight of him just up ahead. I dug my back claws into the ground and shoved off, watching the trees fly by with a blur.

One moment I was chasing Jake and the next, I was flying through the air. I slammed into a tree and fell to the ground, my wolf growled at me and I got to my feet, my eyes searching the shadows.

I was outside of the silver falls territory. How had I not noticed that?
I sniffed the air, but all I smelled were roses. I turned and rolled, a large wolf landing right where I had just been.

I growled, shaking out my fur.
I shot forward, faking to the right before i went to the left. I sank my teeth into the wolf's back leg and it howled in pain.

I felt a sharp pain in my side and I let go of its leg, turning my attention to the wolf that was digging its teeth into my side. I twisted, grabbing hold of the wolf's neck and yanking. I heard a snap and then the other wolf was on me, biting and scratching.

I went up on my back legs, fighting for an advantage. I found it when the wolf turned its head to snap at me. I went in for the kill, sinking my teeth deep into the wolf's neck. I yanked back and I heard a loud snap.

Angrily, I turned, licking at the wound in my side. I turned and felt a weight crash down on my back. I felt like the air had been knocked out of me. I bucked but the wrigt didn't move.

Teeth sank into my shoulder and I whimpered when I felt the wolf connect with mine. I felt something hard against my butt and fear claimed me.

My wolf went on a rampage, bucking as hard as she could. The wolf lost its grip on my shoulder and I bucked again, sending it into a tree.

Eli I cried into my mind, but all I got was static. I was alone. No...no Jake was out here. Jake was here.
Jake? I called out into my mind, my eyes never moving from the wolf that looked unconscious in front of me.

Angel? Jake's voice asked.
I turned my head, catching sight of Jake, limping out from behind a tree. My eyes took in the blood that soaked his fur. Poor Jake.
Let's get you home I said.

---------------------------

"Is he okay?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.
Justin sighed and turned to face me.
"Angelina, Jake is going to be fine," Justin said.
"Thank god-"
"Angelina. I mean, seriously. Jake is going to be fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him. There's not a scratch on his skin," Justin said.