chapter thirty-one

{Angelina}

I groaned as my eyes started to adjust to the darkness. I could feel my wolf now, but she was so far away that I couldn't reach her. It make me scared. What was a werewolf without their wolf? A human. I didn't want to be a human. I didn't want this. What were they doing to me?

{Unknown}

I glared at the two men that stood in front of me, anger flowing through me.
"You're telling me that it didn't work?" I growled.

"Her wolf surfaced. Faster than we expected sir," one of the men said. I growled, standing up over them. How dare they. I didn't have long and they were screwing around with my life. With my reputation.

"Get down there and make it work. I don't care what you have to do. DO IT!" I roared.
They both nodded obediently and practically ran from the room.

"Sir, we have a problem," my second in command said, walking into the room. I sighed and turned to face her.
"Yes?" I asked.

"There is a loner sniffing at the edge of our territory. Shall we kill him?" She asked.
To me it didn't sound like a problem but that didn't mean that it wasn't. The lone wolf could have been hired. It could have been sent after the girl. By who, I had no clue. Loners were about as unpredictable as rogues. They worked for anyone and they would stab you in the back the first chance they got.

"Bring him in," I ordered.
She nodded and left the room, her hips swaying as she walked. My wolf growled appreciating the roundness of her backside. Me on the other hand, I growled in disgust and sat back down in my chair.

I had barely a week to be ready before the council showed. I had to make every moment count. If I had to personally shove the serum down her throat go make it work, I would do so.

{Angelina}

It felt like hours had passed. I begged them to stop, but they wouldn't. They just kept cutting and cutting away at me. When I would whimper, they would laugh and just cut deeper.

The silver chains coated with wolf's bane that were holding me down made it impossible to reach my wolf. The further away she got from me, the weaker I got.

Whatever they had injected me with the first day, it was gone from my system, but I would easily welcome the pain from then. What I felt now was worse than what I felt then. A part of me wished James would come for me, but I knew he wouldn't. He was locked away tight. He was suffering for me.

"Think she's ready?" One of the men asked. I groaned and rolled my head to the side to face them. They were both holding syringes filled with dark black liquid. I could have sworn I saw something move inside of the little tubes but I ignored it.

"No. She's not weak enough," I heard a voice said. I felt something slice through my leg and I screamed, turning my head to see a man dressed in a long white lab coat staring down at me.

"She needs to be weaker than this,"* he said to the two men. His hands turned to claws and I cried as he dug them into my stomach. Even though I couldn't see the blood, I could smell it and there was so much. I honestly had no clue how I was even alive.

When the man pulled his hands out, they were drenched in my blood. He smiled as he wiped them on his coat and he nodded to the men.

I could feel my vision start to waver, but I fought it, trying to get free still.
I watched weakly as both men stuck a needle in both arms and I watched the black liquid drain into me. At first I felt nothing, then a jolt of pain raced through me. One by one my veins turned black.

It felt as if my blood was on fire.
I cried and cried as the loan grew stronger and stronger. It wasn't going away this time. My wolf didn't surface to help me, which only made me cry stronger.

"Its working," one of the men said.
My vision blurred and then everything went black.

{James}

I growled as Astion shoved me through the woods, Alpha Bane by his side. I could try to run, but I knew by now that they would catch me. They were alpha's.

I had heard them talking earlier outside of my cell door. They were going to hand Angelina over to the rogues to save the pack. If I was alpha, that would seem like a good plan, but as a fellow member of the pack and as Angelina's mate, I despised the plan completely. Besides, you can't trust rogues.

They couldn't think properly and their wolf had more control than their human side, which meant that they could attack at any moment. They couldn't be trusted or reasoned with.

When they both stopped, I turned only to find Alpha Bane pointing a gun in my face.
I moistened my lips and took a step back.

"Sorry to do this, we didn't exactly have a choice," Astion said. I could feel regret pouring off him but I didn't know why.
Suddenly, two steel arms wrapped around me and I felt my heart stop.

The rotten smell gave them away instantly.
Rogues.

"She ran away. I had no choice. I had to hand something over, so I chose you," Astion said.
I felt the rogue sneer in my ear but I was still in shock. I thought they were going to send me off into the woods and capture me when I found Angelina. But actually they were handing me over to the rogues.

"Why?" I asked.
"Because. I have a new beta and you aren't of any use to me. Without your mate, you're weak and useless," Astion said.

My wolf growled but the man tightened his arms on me and I whimpered. Astion smiled before he turned and started back the way they had come. Bane looked at me for a moment before he turned and followed after him too.

The rogue tossed me over its shoulder and I growled, kicking and punching. It was no use. I might as well be a five year old kid because that was what I felt like.

{Unknown}

I felt it.
I could feel the power radiating off of her from where I sat and I smiled to myself. It had worked. My men had not failed me this time, which meant that I could finally get on with the show.

I turned at the sound of my beta approaching. She smiled at me before she shoved a man forward. The man stumbled and fell to his knees right in front of me.

"Well well well. A loner," I chuckled. Loners were unpredictable but If I could get him on my side, that jig actually work in my favor.

"Cat," he growled under his breath.
I kicked him and he groaned, his hand flying to his already wounded stomach.
"I actually think I have a spot for you here loner," I said, a huge smile on my lips.

He growled at me and I could see the anger in his eyes.
"What are you doing here on my land?" I growled.
"I have a job," he said.
"And that is?"

"To find a werewolf named Angelina and return her to the silver falls pack," he growled. I smiled and shook my head, crouching down to his level.

"Well Angelina is here with me and she is not going anywhere. So why don't we discuss my proposition?" I asked.

"I would never work with you," he growled. I smiled, revealing my sharp teeth.
"I hoped you would say that," I said before I nodded to my beta. She yanked him to his feet and I watched in anger and lust as she dragged him away. Maybe I would have to take her up on her offer. It was getting more and more tempting every day.

***

Picture at the top is Clare.

Also, I have chained the unknown characters second in command to a female. I didn't realize that making it a male would screw up where the story was going, so now it's changed.