chapter nine

I sighed as I slipped my feet into the cool water, loving the feel of the cold water on my skin.
Ever since the cerimony, I had been getting hotter and hotter.
I'm not talking about my looks of course, but more along the lines of temperature. I was sure it was nothing, but I felt like a literal space heater. Crazy, I know.

I wanted to tell alpha bane about this, but a part of me felt like it wasn't his concern. If it got worse if course I would have to tell him.

The bushes behind me rustled and I tensed.
"Relax," Jake said as he came out of the bushes, buttoning his pants as he did. He smiled at me and I smiled back before I turned back to look at the water.

Jake walked over to me and sat down beside me, plopping his feet down in the water.
Men. No respect whatsoever.

"It's quiet out here," Jake said, looking up at the sky.
"Yeah, it was quiet out here," I said in agreement, looking down at the water.

"I thought we had a truce. Come on, we're tryna be friends," Jake said, giving me the puppy eyes. I sighed and leaned back on my hands.
"Alright, I'm sorry," I said, turning my head to look at him.
The desire I saw in his eyes made me feel as though I was on display.

I turned to look at the water, watching the tiny fish that swam below. This was truly paradise.

I sat there, completely forgetting Jake was there, up until he pushed me into the water.
I went under, kicking my legs out until I was back at the surface.
Jake was laughing when I came back up for air, glaring at him.

"Youre dead," I growled.
"You have to catch me first!" He laughed before he turned and took off the same way he had appeared. I growled and pulled myself out of the water, shrugging out of my shirt as I ran after him.
I unbuttoned my pants, stopping for only a second to kick them off.

I heard the cracking of my own bones and the next thing I knew, I was running on all fours.

My wolf was white, with silver paws and a line up the front of my face.
I was larger than the average she-wolf and I was stronger too.
No one really knew what my wolf looked like, because after my first shift, my wolf ditched me. She wouldn't come out and I felt so embarrassed because everyone could shift but me.

But after some training, alpha bane and Eli helped me learn how to shift at will. They were the only ones who knew what my wolf looked like.
Every time I trained, I trained in my human form. No one questioned that.

I turned quickly, following the scent Jake had left behind. I could hear his paws hit the ground almost in unison. He wasn't that far away from me.

Pushing off with my back legs, closing the distance between Jake and me probably way faster than he thought I would.
I caught sight of him running a little ways in from of me and I swallowed down my howl of joy. I didn't want him to know that I was here.

I jumped into a trunk of a tree and right onto Jake, making him roll from the impact.
We rolled a few feet and crashed right into a tree, making the tree shudder and then collapse into another one. Luckily, that tree didn't fall.

Jake growled at me, shooting to his feet. His red eyes looked me over, taking everything in. I realized then that he had never seen me in wolf form. He didn't recognize my scent...which meant he didn't recognize me.

He crouched low, his ears laid back on his head.
Jake, I said through the mind-link.
I had never used it before, but alpha bane said that packs contacted each other through mind-link.
He said that there was a pack mindlink and then there was a mind-link between two individual wolves.

Jake's growl faltered. Maybe he had heard me.
Jake. It's me, Angelina, I said as though I was talking to a baby. Jake raised his head, his ears standing tall.

How...I thought you couldn't shift, he said, moving towards me.
I stuck my tongue out and let it slide to the side of my muzzle, as though I was smiling.

Jake chuckled in my head before he shook out his fur.
I like a nice run, gets the juices flowing, he said.

Yeah, you thought you would just leave me back there any myself. And here I thought we were friends, I said, shaking my huge head.

We are. come on, one more run? He asked, using his pouting eyes.
I sighed and nodded.

Race you to the house. First one there wakes dad up! He laughed as he took off, running in the direction of the house.
Cheat! I snapped as I chased after him, loving the feel of the wind flowing through my fur.

I came to a stop as I saw Jake disappear into the bushes, and I looked around, catching sight of a shirt and pants that were having in the trees.

I shifted and ran to the tree, yanking the clothes down and quickly dressing. I ran past the bushes, tripping and falling over Jake's foot.

"Oh my, I didn't see you there," he laughed before he took off running towards the house.
I pushed to my feet and took off after him, shoving him to the side.
He shoved me back, entangling his leg with mine. We both fell at the front of the steps, pushing and kicking at each other.

He shoved me down the steps and jumped up, his hands in the air.
"I won!" He shouted, jumping up and down.
I sighed and sat back when I saw Eli standing in the doorway.
I smiled at him, but he didn't smile back.

"Bane wants to see you two," he said in a stern voice before he turned and disappeared into the house.

***

Just go make it clear, they are indeed bigger than regular wolves. Way bigger. I just can't find any huge wolf pictures and I can't make any myself either.