146: Do You Need Help?

"Why don't you try to contact her again? Maybe Li Tao didn't hear the call just now." Xu Wei urged Bai Xiaoke softly as she looked at her hopefully. The few who had worked together since the tournament until now were unsurprisingly grouped. The four women and the male escort were sneaking quietly into an industrial park filled with short white buildings.

Every team had one communicator—the wristband that every Garden of Eden resident owned was considerably valuable to a posthuman—and Xueqin ensured that each team had contact with all the other teams. As Li Tao wanted to go to the black tower alone, they had to steal another communicator for her. It took them a considerable amount of time to get it. Yet, they didn't know why she was uncontactable.

"That thing on her wrist vibrates. How can she not hear it?" Dong Haohao retorted with her usual biting attitude. "I think she must be in some sort of situation... She'd better not run away!"

Xueqin was somewhat guileless, and hearing that, she kept an awkward silence. After a while, she stammered, "Um, you are thinking ahead of yourself. That's not possible..."

Bai Xiaoke squeezed between the two of them and rolled her eyes. She glanced at Xueqin and realized that the latter was just lying still. Bai Xiaoke had no idea what she was thinking. After being jabbed a couple of times by the escort, Xueqin finally regained her focus. She frowned and looked at the others, "Regarding the situation at the black tower, we just have to wait for Li Tao to call back. Let's not think about it for now. But what should we do since we are here?"

The three women suddenly kept quiet. Hesitating for a moment, Xu Wei turned to look behind her with a timid expression. The women were hiding at the back of a small building. Peeking out from behind the structure, they could see the entire Garden of Eden's Laboratories compound. 'Laboratories' actually meant the ten buildings in the compound. Those buildings were rectangular and had a sleek and smooth facade. The edges of the buildings were distinctly sharp, and they had no visible doors and windows. Made of unknown materials, the buildings with metallic shine were like emotionless robotic monsters crouching in the darkness, spying on humanity.

Now and then, a red beam shot out from the top of each building, piercing through the darkness and going over every inch of the compound. With ten beams of light, the area they covered intersected, leaving almost no blind spot. Though the women did not know the exact function of the red beams, none wanted to risk being scanned by them. It wasn't easy for them to find their hiding spot, as they had to observe those beams for a long time.

Although their spot was safe, it was useless. It was at least a few hundred meters away from the nearest laboratory building, so it wasn't any different from standing on the road outside.

Their team was originally supposed to destroy a factory that manufactured anti-radiation suits. Still, when they arrived there, they wanted to try their luck looking for Lin Sanjiu, and that was how they finally ended up in this dilemma.

"Let's destroy this place!" Bai Xiaoke raised her brows with hostility in her eyes. "It doesn't matter what we destroy anyway! Besides, isn't this place worse than that factory!"

Lin Sanjiu had warned them not to come here. Xu Wei wanted to say something but quickly swallowed her words when she saw her companions. For all of them who had experienced the brutality of the Lunar New Year Tournament, the Garden of Eden Laboratories evoked a sort of physiological disgust in them. Bai Xiaoke's suggestion was instantly accepted unanimously.

"Listen up." While the red breams paused briefly, the women approached the nearest building swiftly and cautiously. At the same time, they were listening to Xueqin, "There are all sorts of weird things in the lab. Some might be useful to us, but there are devices specifically designed to deal with..."