155: From Heaven Fell a Miss Lin

Dark clouds loomed over an endless horizon. There were only patches of ugly knee-height bushes a few kilometers around them, which rustled noisily in the wind. Most of the man-made infrastructures had already been destroyed by nature with a vengeance. The occasional rusty skeleton of what had once been a traffic light would evoke a vague feeling along the lines of "Oh, so there was a road here decades ago."

Lin Sanjiu and her companions surveyed their bare surroundings many times but could not find a place where the person who ambushed them could have hidden.

'Could he be lying flat in the bushes?' Lin Sanjiu thought, though imagining that possibility was a little hard.

Lin Sanjiu whispered to Xueqin, "Don't you have that thing?"

Xueqin immediately understood what she meant.

Without hesitation, she took out a packet of dry noodles and a small Swiss knife. She quickly cut the noodle in half and stuffed it back with the knife. Then, she swung her hand, and multiple whip-like shadows flew out from her wrist with a whoosh and hit the bushes with smacking sounds. The noodles swept across the bushes violently, and many plants were destroyed instantly. Leaves fluttered as all kinds of disgusting creatures crawled out from the bushes. But there was no sign of any humans.

"No matter how often I see you using your weird ability, I just can't get used to it," Bai Xiaoke mumbled and called out an escort.

A muscular male escort appeared, wearing only a pair of beach shorts. He walked cautiously toward the iron railing.

"How's your man-crazy ability any better?" Xueqin retorted as she continued to search through the bushes.

They seemed to have developed a fluent pattern of communication, which involved just bickering between both.

Xueqin swept through most of the bushes, but no one was in sight. Seeing her companions trying their best to help her, Hui Chuyan seemed even more worried. The women could see her opening and closing her mouth as if speaking, but they couldn't hear a single word.

"It seems like it even blocks off sound," Lin Sanjiu said quietly. Her expression remained unchanged, but she raised her voice to be heard from a distance, "Who are you? What do you want from us? Why don't you speak?"

Xueqin and Bai Xiaoke threw her a glance without thinking. They knew all along that Lin Sanjiu could stay calm during a crisis. However, this was the first time both women saw her with such a composed expression—no, composed wasn't the right word to use here.

When Lin Sanjiu asked those questions, her voice sounded unexpectedly flat, as if she didn't find the situation that serious.

'If I have to describe... it feels like Lin Sanjiu is acting like a gamer,' Xueqin thought with a frown.

"Don't waste your time. You guys can't find me!" A hoarse voice that sounded like a male duck quacking interrupted Xueqin's train of thought. "You've trespassed on my boss' territory! Do you think you can just leave like that?"

'It is good that someone replied, and that person doesn't sound too hard to deal with,' Lin Sanjiu thought. The women were relieved to hear an answer, at least for now.

Lin Sanjiu quickly regained her usual countenance and slightly smiled. "Tell me what you want. We'll see." As she spoke, she walked two steps forward, seemingly unintentionally, and examined the iron railing trapping Hui Chuyan.

The Quacker stopped—he seemed to be using some sort of method that made it impossible to find him from his voice; when he spoke, it was as if his voice was coming from all directions. "Easy. Leave all your food and go."