173: The Secret Behind the Flesh Apple

Lin Sanjiu did not know if the snake-faced person could hear her. But, right now, Lin Sanjiu's ears were filled with her own heavy breathing. She felt her blood freeze in her veins.

"Whir... Where, are you, from?" The cracks on the snake-faced person deepened, forming a cavernous, dark, canyon-like smile.

She found the language it spoke novel and odd. It rolled its forked tongue, surprisingly revealing an interest in continuing. "You, talk."

Lin Sanjiu never imagined that this snake-faced person could speak human language.

Although she knew that this situation was beyond her control, her regret swallowed her heart whole as if a poisonous snake. 'I shouldn't have touched that meaty apple! I was too rash!'

'What should I do now?'

Seeing that she wasn't responding, the snake-faced person grew impatient. It uncoiled its tail, and its body rose. It watched Lin Sanjiu closely with its pair of vertical pupils.

"Where... are you, from?"

Lin Sanjiu's heart froze. Her body reacted faster than her thoughts. She stored her [Ability Polishing Agent] in a split second. She turned and ran under the cover of the sudden darkness.

However, as soon as she began moving, something like a meteorite crashed in front of her. The tree branch, which had been stable all this time, started shaking violently, and she fell backward.

Lin Sanjiu quickly took out her [Ability Polishing Agent]. She saw the shadow of a large bridge-like structure above her head. It had a forked tip. The thing sticking out from the tree bark in front of her was indeed the snake-faced person's tongue.

If she had run any faster, she would have been pierced.

Suddenly, a large drop of saliva fell on top of Lin Sanjiu, and she was immediately drenched. The skin all over her body hurt from the impact of that single drop of saliva. If the snake-faced person wanted to attack her...

Lin Sanjiu couldn't think of anything that she could do.

"I-I came from the tree..." Since she was unable to defeat or run away from it, she could only wipe her face and talk. Maybe she could find a better opportunity through their conversation: "Why are you able to speak our language?"

It was obvious that not all snake-faced people knew human language. Otherwise, how could Lin Sanjiu be able to live now? She probably would've been found when the meaty apple spoke.

This snake-faced person seemed to be the only one who understood human language. That was why it secretly turned back after everyone was gone.

Hearing her reply, the huge bridge-like shadow above her head returned with a swish. Though the object was huge, it moved at a speed faster than one could react. As the snake-faced person was too close to her, Lin Sanjiu couldn't see its entire expression. She could only hear the snake-faced person's hisses, "Tree? Weird... not possible."

However, it didn't answer her question.

She was too near to that thunderous voice, so her ears hurt. She rubbed her ears and continued, "I'm not lying. I really did come from the tree."

Two tall, straight pupils whirled around, looking more intimidating under the silver light from her [Ability Polishing Agent].

"Impossible... All nutrients, should, be totally absorbed." The snake-faced person remained motionless as it stared at Lin Sanjiu, prepared to prevent her from a second attempt to escape. "Why, aren't you.... in the apple? Where are you... from?"