153: What Kind of Shitty Method Is That?

The air was contaminated with the smell of rotting plants and the fishy stench of various mutated creatures. It flowed through the respiratory tracts and into the lungs of all the humans and posthumans in the city.

Under such circumstances, no one uttered a word even when they saw those wanted criminals, the female posthumans, running past them. Hundreds or even thousands of humans sprawled on the streets like dead bodies. Their almost-dead, listless eyes trailed the graceful footsteps of the posthumans until they finally revealed a tinge of envy.

Blood gushed out from their respiratory tract, making it impossible to breathe, yet they no longer had the strength to even cough. Occasionally, a few people would appear with milder radiation sickness. They would stumble through the streets covered with the bodies of the duoluozhongs and shout, "Save me!" before collapsing to the ground like toy blocks.

There were victims everywhere.

The soldiers who were fighting the women just moments before had already abandoned their mission and dispersed, trying to find a way to survive. Their anti-radiation suits were quite effective, giving them more time to live. Xueqin and the others were wounded and soaked in blood, but they couldn't care less. They ran through the streets and alleys and called for other possible surviving posthumans.

Facing death, all the residents finally went mad. Now and then, a man would appear holding a knife and an ax, brawling and screaming while he chopped up any living thing he saw. The people who hid in their anti-radiation shelters had already lost their sanity, crying loudly non-stop. A group of soldiers who were previously fighting against the female posthumans headed for the laboratories. They raided the place for medicines, burning some of the labs in the process. Some researchers, still wearing white coats, hung limply from the walls of the laboratories like pieces of beefy jerky.

Amidst the shrieks, the crying, the call for help, and the fires, far above the city, the glass window at the top floor of the black tower was blasted apart. Glass fragments fell from the sky, but nobody noticed.

The surrounding sound of devastation drowned out the posthumans' calls for their companions, leaving only murmurs. Lin Sanjiu composed herself as she looked down from the top of the black tower. The walls of the tower seemed to stretch downward with no end. She felt dizzy even with a single glance.

She forced herself to stand firm and watched the city below her again. Then, she noticed a few dots, like black ants, moving quickly through the city. After a while, the dots converged and headed toward the black tower. Judging from their speed, those were posthumans. Lin Sanjiu assumed that the others probably already guessed that she had accomplished her mission when they saw the glass globe disappearing before their eyes, so they quickly reassembled and flocked toward the black tower.

Lin Sanjiu's heart tensed up for a moment, and she quickly estimated the time she had. She sighed. She had no choice. Behind her, a segment of the floor had slid away, and a control desk had risen. That was the control desk which caused the disassembling of the radiation shield. The metallic support that held the console disappeared deep into the floor, and a rope was tied to it.

Lin Sanjiu looked behind her. She saw St. Peter staring at her with unblinking eyes. Nervous, she let out a laugh. "You went easy on me just now," she did not care whether St. Peter comprehended her words. She looked down at the three other Neuhumes who lay unconscious on the ground. She nodded at St. Peter and said, "Bring them away. I am also leaving."

St. Peter slowly stood up and carried his companions as if he understood what she had said. The wounds on his arms were torn open during their fight, so two of his arms were covered in blood. Blood dripped from his wounds, creating a small puddle on the floor.