118: I Will Remember All of This

Lin Sanjiu only heard the term "sponsors" on the fourth day of the tournament. After the end of day three, the capsule containment area had 29 fewer capsules. Among the 29 women, there were those with outstanding abilities, some who were quick-witted, and others who worked together... but in the end, they all ended up dying in the most meaningless and banal way without a shred of dignity. Their remnants of blood and flesh dyed the arena red while the groups of duoluozhongs walked around, making squishy sounds as they trampled over their bodies.

Out of the dead women, one of them had an ability that seemed related to her vision. Even after her body had been minced, one of her eyeballs remained intact. No matter how hard the duoluozhong tried to step on it, it didn't burst. It simply rolled about in the bloody mixture on the ground with the sclera facing the ceiling.

After the end of each match, the number of duoluozhongs in the arena increased like the piling corpses. The duoluozhongs that were not killed in the match were not taken away. Instead, they were allowed to roam the arena, waiting for the next batch of duoluozhongs to arrive. Perhaps due to the strengthening experimentations done to them in the Garden of Eden Laboratories, the duoluozhongs from the first three days seemed to be lacking in the intelligence department, and their combat styles were also nothing unusual.

After the fourth day, Lin Sanjiu started to feel that those 29 women were lucky.

At that moment, the cameras were sweeping across the cheering crowd that was surging into the arena. Whenever a camera flew close to the crowd, it would cause the audience to shriek happily. Some people even took off their hoods and jumped up and down, waving at the cameras. By this time, the seats had all been filled. The vendors who were strolling through the rows of seats were all beaming. They sold all sorts of odd, colorful tidbits and souvenirs and easily cleared their stock in just a few minutes.

After the segment, which showed the audience ended, a large closeup view of a contestant appeared on the screen while a tsunami of cheers erupted from the audience.

From the angle, the image on the screen was a direct feed from a camera in a capsule. The young girl who appeared on the screen was leaning against the wall of her capsule. She had a withered look as her eyelids drooped. It was as if she had already lost the will to fight. Even when she saw her face blown up on the screen in the center of the arena, her eyes only shifted a little.

She was only eighteen or nineteen. Even though she couldn't be considered beautiful, her age gave her an edge, giving her a certain appeal.

"This is Contestant 14; she is only 18, and her name is Nathalia. She has the lucky privilege of being the first female mutate with a sponsor. Please give her a round of applause!" Once the host said this, a beam was cast at the audience, and an animated projection of blooming flowers appeared midair. After that, the words "The CEO of the Garden of Eden Crop Sticky Cloning Technique Pte Ltd., Carl Lorraine, wishes everyone a Happy Lunar New Year" were shown, and there was a small line of words that seemed to be the company's address.

It was only then that Nathalia glanced at the projection in midair with a slightly confused face.

"The future fate of Contestant 14 is in the hands of Carl Lorraine, the CEO of the Garden of Eden Crop Sticky Cloning Technique Pte Ltd. He chooses—" the host intentionally dragged his words to draw the attention of the audience. Then, he announced loudly, "Before she dies under the hands of the duoluozhongs who have been fed aphrodisiac, Contestant 14 would be beheaded!"

Through the large screen, everyone could see Nathalia's facial features freezing up. Her previously apathetic expression fell off her face like a shattered mask.