119: Night Security Guard

The protective glass shield could not block off 100% of the surrounding radiation. The glass could block the radioactive particles in the air, the effects from the radioactive clouds, radiation-contaminated creatures, etc. However, no matter what methods the residents tried, they were unable to decontaminate the soil under their feet.

The residents of the Garden of Eden could not eat soil-grown crops. Instead, they had to ration their crops, which were grown via aeroponics. It took twenty years of research before the "Crop Sticky Cloning Technique" was developed. It was only then that sufficient food was produced to support the city. In the past, women who hadn't had children could never have a full meal.

Due to low-grade terrestrial radiation from the ground, all the residents were recommended to consume a certain dosage of anti-radiation gummies every month to maintain their health. In fact, only low-income residents lived in small buildings or on the first or second floor. The rich people in the city all owned sky villas and their own advanced technologies to reduce their radiation exposure.

Unfortunately, Lin Sanjiu was naively unaware of this information. After she killed Sandwhale, there was no one around to feed her any anti-radiation gummies. Sandwhale was just the head of a gang that kidnapped female posthumans. Even though he had quite a few men under him, there was no reason for them to work together once he died. If it weren't because the Garden of Eden wanted more contestants and set a condition that people who bring in the winning contestant could stand to win some of the prize money from the wagers, those men that came would have scattered like birds. Thus, they wouldn't bother spending any effort on the person brought in by Sandwhale.

In a normal world, the natural background radiation that humans are exposed to is only a few millisieverts per year. The radiation delivered by a CT scan or a chest X-ray also didn't cause much harm to the human body. But when radiation had to be measured in sieverts, it would be dangerous.

If a normal person was exposed to 3 to 4 sieverts of radiation, they would have already died or ended up half-dead. When Lin Sanjiu first arrived in the Garden of Eden, her body had already absorbed up to 15 to 16 sieverts of radiation. Without her physical enhancements, she would have died long ago. Even though she was saved by Er Dao's blood and by eating the anti-radiation gummies, she was still exposed to constant radiation. The only difference was it went from a few sieverts per hour to a slower rate of a few hundred millisieverts. This did not apply only to her but to everything that existed in this world, except the duoluozhongs. Passive abilities like Radiation Immunity and anti-radiation gummies only helped to reduce the accumulated radiation in a person's body to a safe level. This was also the reason why those anti-radiation gummies, which had addictive effects, were still very popular outside the snow globe city.

Since Lin Sanjiu had not consumed any anti-radiation gummies for almost a week, the radiation in her body had already reached 10 sieverts. If she wasn't so tense and focused on the tournament, she would have noticed her growing discomfort much earlier.

The image of her body smashing against the wall of her capsule and slowly sliding down was captured by the mini camera inside the capsule. Lin Sanjiu did not wake up even when the matches for the fourth day of the tournament ended. However, the news that Contestant 97 had duoluozhongs into a coma only took up a very small corner on a page of entertainment news that day. It didn't raise much interest other than stopping a few rich men from "sponsoring" her.

Nathalia, the well-endowed Contestant 70, and three other "sponsored" women in the afternoon match died that day, living up to the 'expectations' that the Garden of Eden had of them. This was nothing extraordinary. Ever since someone had thought up the brilliant plan to limit the contestants to all female posthumans, it just became a common acceptable practice in the Garden of Eden.