174: The Head of the Demolition Crew Had Been Possessed

"Fuck. Did you work in a demolition crew in the past?"

When Lin Sanjiu heard that familiar voice again, her wound-up nerves quickly relaxed. She could no longer drive herself with willpower, and the weariness she accumulated over these few days consumed her...

"I don't care anymore," Lin Sanjiu mumbled and dropped to the ground, closing her eyes. "Deal with the rest yourselves."

Six hours earlier, there was an oppressive atmosphere in the air. There wasn't a single hint of breeze.

Lin Sanjiu didn't think much about the exact size of this place. But considering the size of those snake-faced people and the fact that she couldn't even sense their presence after they left. She could only imagine how vast the place was.

While her thoughts ran wild, she leaped up and grabbed the branch above her before climbing up.

Lin Sanjiu refused to even consider the worst-case scenario.

Although she didn't know where B. Rabbit and the others were, or if they were alive, she followed her single motivation, which had never changed: if they were alive, she wanted to see them; if they were dead, she needed to see their corpses.

"If I give up just like that, what is the point of me struggling till today?" She grumbled to herself softly. She held her [Vibroblade] and struck it down on the portion of the branch beside her.

Although the knife looked too small compared to the size of the branch, the laboratory's technology truly deserved its reputation. When she used it for the first time, she was prepared to see the branch a few times. Surprisingly, once the blade landed on the branch, it was as if she was cutting through the air. It easily cut through the branch, and each time, it left an edge with a polished surface.

As she already had some experience with this, she immediately took two steps back. Boom! The smooth, polished sealed surface left by the cut from her Vibroblade burst open due to the pressure from the fluid in the branch. The tree sap sprayed out like a fountain.

The length of the knife wasn't long enough to sever the branch with a single clean cut. The branch broke in half at the point of the incision with a crack. The apple hanging from the branch lost its support and fell to the ground.

Lin Sanjiu ignored the apple, which fell with a scream. After the sap from the branch stopped spurting out, she climbed to the edge of the incision and flashed her light to check what was inside.

This method was inspired by the dead snake-faced person.

When she was dodging the attacks from the creature, its tongue pierced through the bark of the tree. Those areas exposed a thick layer of unknown plant material. Under that layer of cuticle, Lin Sanjiu discovered a dead body hanging from the edge of the damaged tree bark. It came out together with the tree sap.

That corpse was a little different from the other dead bodies she had seen. Even though his skin was undamaged, appearing to have died not too long ago, his body was in a deformed mess, as if it had been squeezed by something. Judging from how the tree sap spurted, the pressure of the fluid probably increased as they reached the tips of the tree, and this was the reason why the corpse couldn't even retain its original form.

'Maybe the flesh of the apples was made from the flesh of several dead bodies?' There was no way to verify this conjecture, and Lin Sanjiu didn't want to think about it either. She looked inside the broken branch and couldn't help letting out a sigh of relief when she didn't see anyone inside.

If B. Rabbit and the others weren't in the branches, there was still some hope of saving them.

She raised her head and looked up. The tree she was on didn't have a large canopy; it only had another 30 or 40 branches. But... Lin Sanjiu smiled bitterly, pretending that she hadn't seen the shadows of the other few colossal trees while continuing to climb to another branch.