129: The Hidden Oddities in the Garden of Eden

Strictly speaking, this was Lin Sanjiu's first time on the street in the Garden of Eden. Just as what she had observed from outside the glass globe, the design of the city was vastly different from anything she had seen on Earth (she could only put it this way). As it had not yet dawned, the sky outside the glass globe was a hue of dark blue and dotted with bright twinkling stars. The yellow street lamps floating mid-air descended like birds as they sensed people's footsteps. They cast a warm yellow light on the street, illuminating their path. An interplay of cool and warm colors against the background to the tranquil night sky was just like a piece of art.

Xueqin, who was in the male escort's arms, suddenly made a cold remark, "Don't be fooled by these things. There is a surveillance camera in each of the street lamps."

Dong Haohao, who had just attempted to touch the lamps, quickly pulled back her hand after hearing that.

Lin Sanjiu turned to look at the few dozen people behind her and spoke quietly to Li Tao, "Even though everyone is wearing those military-grade hazmat suits and thus our identities wouldn't be exposed so quickly, we still have to be careful. Could you get them to talk and move less? We just have to hold our guns and move forward."

Li Tao nodded before turning and passing the message to the group.

Though it did not sound like a large number, when 43 people walked together, they covered almost half a street. Lin Sanjiu did not actually expect so many people to follow her. Of those who left, a few were concerned about their safety, but the rest were about to be sent to another world, so they did not want to take any unnecessary risks...

After Gong Daoyi gave them the directions to escape the city, he did not leave. He followed behind the troop of female posthumans. Although Lin Sanjiu wasn't keen on him staying with them, she couldn't bring herself to chase him away immediately. In the end, she kept Xueqin by her side so both people wouldn't start a fight on the streets.

"Can you see that black tower in the distance? The residents here are absolutely forbidden to go there. Supposedly, that is a central component of the glass globe which provides the power required for the protective shield."

"Power?" Lin Sanjiu was a little confused. She looked up at the glass globe above them. No matter how she looked, it seemed like a physical infrastructure to her, and she couldn't see how it would need an energy source. "How many people usually guard that place?"

Unexpectedly, Xueqin harrumphed and said, "There are no guards. No one knows why, but people who get close to the black tower always disappear without a trace. That includes the soldiers guarding the place. Basically, it is not necessary to guard it, as it guards itself."

After she finished her sentence in a matter-of-fact manner, she suddenly turned away her head, as if embarrassed, so Lin Sanjiu only saw the back of the woman's head. She continued, "So if you wish to court death, you can go and try."

"Oh." Lin Sanjiu replied unconsciously, as she was still puzzled by the conundrum about the power source.

A high-pitched siren rang out from afar, piercing through the silent night. A couple of ambulances swooped past their heads, leaving a draft of wind. It had only been 30 minutes since they had escaped the arena, and this was the fifth fleet of ambulances that they had seen. Occasionally, they even heard some cries from the residential apartments. Apparently, the outbreak of radiation sickness was far worse than what Lin Sanjiu anticipated. Lin Sanjiu furrowed her brows and had a faint inkling that there was something wrong. However, she found the black tower so intriguing that she didn't spare time for that fleeting thought.

They took a bend around the corner and found a white conch-shaped building; it stole all of Lin Sanjiu's attention. The form of the building flowed well, giving it a clean and cute appearance. It was just like what she saw from outside the city. Lin Sanjiu stood in front of the building and took a deep breath. She pulled out her mouthpart weapon with lightning speed. With a few leaps, she destroyed five street lamps consecutively. After that, she pressed the illuminated doorbell and gestured to the escort. The escort placed Xueqin down and walked to the door with another woman who was wearing a hazmat helmet.