152: The Break of Dawn

Aliba stood in a beautiful and luxurious reception room; he was a frequent visitor. He had been here multiple times with his colleagues from the Police and Military Department. The rich owner of the mansion would always sit on the sofa opposite him with a figure-four crossed-leg position. He would never look at the gifts presented to him but instead constantly berated his men with spittle flying everywhere. Among the men he reprimanded, Aliba always displayed the best attitude and always seemed the most ardent.

However, everything would change after tonight. Aliba stepped on a blood-soaked rug on the ground. Dark blood seeped out from the rug with a squelch.

"They did a great job here," he surveyed the blood-covered walls of the mansion contented and laughed, "I think those female mutates hate us."

His vice-chief looked pale but laughed and responded with a few quips. After that, he activated his communicator and reported, "Chief, our men received a police report."

"Oh? What is it about?" Aliba asked as he took out a medium-strength cigarette from the desk in the reception room.

"A servant working for the Head of the Technology Department reported the crime. The female mutates involved in the current insurgence broke into his master's mansion and killed that man," the vice chief said and laughed.

Aliba paused for two seconds with the cigarette sticking from his mouth before he looked at his watch, "The last team of female mutates have already been out for 30 minutes... Good. Get your subordinate to inform the witness that our crime suppression team is coming. If we want to stir public sentiments, we should start now." He lit his cigarette and smiled menacingly, "Now is the time. The time to get rid of them. We will use all that equipment developed by the lab!"

"Ah, okay!" the vice-chief stood in a daze for a second before he understood. He turned and ran out to execute the order.

The last list of targets included the names of some inconsequential people. Due to Aliba's cautious nature, he did not want to risk taking on a few dozen female posthumans simultaneously, even if his men outnumbered them. He split them into teams and sent them out only to weaken their strength.

Beforehand, he already had 400 soldiers on standby. When they received his order, it took less than five minutes for them to surround the mansion where Xueqin's group was.

Meanwhile, the group had their misgivings after the screen of their communicator went black. After a short discussion, as per Xueqin's suggestion, they quickly contacted their other companions and briefly informed them about the incident. However, no one could think of any good idea for dealing with that situation.

"Let's not think about that. You guys should hurry back to the city hall." The group's last contact was Gong Daoyi: "I already urged the others to return, but no one is back yet. I am a little worried... Huh?"

Over the screen, he suddenly frowned and stared at the flash of light behind the women. He immediately shouted, "Dodge to the side!"

It was so sudden that none of them had time to think. Their bodies instinctive reacted quicker than their minds—two women and the escort jumped aside, leaving the spot they were standing. A loud boom quickly followed this. The accompanying shockwave hit them like a tsunami, slamming them against the wall.

The explosion created a rain of concrete, steel, and wood, and these fragments created a second round of attacks. As a cloud of smoke and dust surrounded them, Xueqin, with her face covered in blood, coughed and quickly summoned out her mushroom. Because of that protection, she had some remaining strength to survey her surroundings. The dust and smoke blurred her vision. She could only make out the silhouette of a person lying on the floor at the other end of the room. However, she had no clue about the person's condition.