148: Maniac

"It isn't hard to let you people go, but why should I do that?"

The mayor's office in the city hall was a large semicircular room. There was a large, thick wool rug in the middle, and the floor lamp in the room had been dimmed, so the surroundings were now an orange-yellow, like the color of sunset dipped in water. The screen showing Aliba's image was hidden between the boundary of the shadows in the room, and light poured from it.

Aliba scanned the entire office with his long-slitted eyes. When he saw a pair of feet poking out from behind the office table, his facial muscles twitched a little. As if to control his emotions from showing, he knocked on his table. He still had a very strong impression of those pair of leather shoes.

Aliba felt his guts trembling slightly, and a sort of murky, indistinct idea popped up in his head. He coughed and smiled coldly, "When you people escaped from the Lunar New Year Tournament, I was humiliated. Now, you are begging me to pull back the policemen and soldiers? Why should I? Ha. And I already know where you are, so I can simply send my men to surround you!"

When they heard Aliba's words, Xueqin, Bai Xiaoke, and the others exchanged glances and realized they all looked a little pale; none expected to have a conversation with Aliba there. When they first stepped out of the wormhole, they thought Gong Daoyi had betrayed them. It took half a second before Xueqin noticed that they were looking at a full-body screen, and it showed a 1:1 image of Aliba in his uniform. She blinked her eyes multiple times because it looked like he was standing in the room.

"Didn't I say that I have an idea that might save everyone?" The women's expressions relaxed slightly after hearing Gong Daoyi's warm, soothing voice. "Before I went to look for all of you, I called Mr. Chief of Police's communicator."

Negotiation. That was Gong Daoyi's intention.

He was the only one among them who seemed prepared for this. All the women turned to look at him except Xueqin. She did not want to see his face and uttered coldly, "If you have anything to say to him, make it quick!"

Gong Daoyi was unoffended and just nodded. When he turned to look at the screen, a glint flashed past his star-sprinkled eyes as if he had just suppressed an urge to laugh after remembering something funny, but no one noticed. He pointed at the mayor's office table and commented mildly, "Mr. Chief of Police, I am sure you already noticed that the mayor is dead."

"So what?" Aliba tried to conceal his hidden intentions. "You'll only die faster!"

"Is that so?" Gong Daoyi smiled, "I think it is convenient for the mayor to die in this insurrection."

Aliba's eyelids twitched, and he didn't reply. When he could no longer cover up the news of the female posthumans escaping, the official from the Administrative Office forced him to appear in court. Aliba had to use many of his connections to reduce the disciplinary actions so that he was only temporarily monitored. Admittedly, he sent the troops to stop the insurrection because he wanted to atone for his mistakes. However, no matter how hard he tried to make up for the failure, death was the most efficient way to eliminate his rival.

"Let's make a deal." Gong Daoyi thrust his hands into his pocket; his tall, slender silhouette cut a striking figure. "Your Lordship will provide a way for all our people to gather here. When we see that everyone is well, you, Mr. Chief of Police, can choose any target you want our teams to destroy. What do you say?"

"Doesn't that mean we will be working for him?" Bai Xiaoke, who was standing behind him, gasped.

Aliba felt his heart racing. Even though he had control of the army, there were too many political checks and balances. If all his political opponents were killed, that would mean that the Garden of Eden would become his private corporation. He felt a warm gush of excitement in his chest when he thought of this. He opened his mouth but didn't speak, observing everyone in the room with his signature gloomy gaze instead.