thirteen

*Maya's p.o.v*

Once we got back to the station, I went and changed into some regular clothes and I left the station to go meet up with Ryan at the park. Once I got to the park I saw Ryan and I went towards him and we started talking.

Me: Our dad spent all of his time and his money on me and my training. The winning and the medals, they were like *pauses* a drug. Our dad spent money on Aria too, but it's like he didn't believe in her that much. And Mason, he just *I shake my head* he got left behind. And he tried. He stopped running, started trying other things. He got into art school *I smile* but my parents wouldn't pay for it. He wasn't the prospect. And I could see he was in pain, but we grew up embracing the pain. I guess I thought it would make him stronger like me. I thought that about Aria too and look where that got me. I won an Olympic gold medal, and the day I won was the first time that Mason OD'd. And no one but Aria knew about it because they were home alone, and I was abroad with my parents.

I took deep breath after remembering all of the memories from what I knew happened.

Me: I feel like it was all of my fault. He's..my fault. Aria and I'd relationship is my fault.

Ryan: I can keep an eye on Mason. When I'm on patrol. If you'd like.

I look at him and I smiled. I nodded my head when I felt my eyes beginning to water. After our conversation, we stayed there and just sat down in silence.

*Aria's p.o.v*

I went into the locker room holding a basket of my laundry when I saw Vic going through her locker.

Me: You know um when someone experiences something like, you know, Blue Fire. I'm sure it's not unusual for it to rattle you

Vic: Excuse me?

Me: I'm just saying, you know, the way the VR got to you, y-your reaction at the fire today. I'm sure you can work through it, but if you just let me help-

Vic: Oh, you have no idea what you're talking about. I do not have some fear of fire. Don't be ridiculous.

I stand there and I look at her not believing what she's saying.

Vic: You know, that is-that is not the kind of thing a person works through. That's the kind of problem that turns a firefighter into a portal worker. So let's be clear Bishop. It is not a problem I have.

Me: Okay

Vic: You know, I was-I was the rookie like five minutes ago. I'm still building my reputation and there is no coming back from something like that, not in the eyes of the team.

Me: I didn't mean-

Vic: And unlike you, I do not have a family member here to fall back on. So I do not have a problem. Understood?

I watched as she grabbed something out of her locker pissed and she walks away. I took a deep breath and I grabbed my laundry and I started to fold it. Once I finished folding my clothes, I put everything into my locker and I went into the living room and I sat on the couch. I heard someone coming in and it was Maya.

Maya: Aria can you please come with me to go back to see Mason? Ryan's waiting outside

I looked at her and I noticed her eyes were a bit red. I stood up and I nodded and I followed her outside to Ryan's car. I sat in the back and we started making our way to the police station. Once we got there we watched as Ryan went into Mason's cell to talk to him.

Ryan: Your sisters came to see you, and I think you should take couple minutes to talk to them.

I watch as Maya looks into the cell with a small smile on her face until Mason looked at us and he shook his head and walked away.