twenty one

*Aria's p.o.v*

We all are getting breakfast in the beanery together. Everyone is doing the usual breakfast and talk time.

Maya: Is Captain Sullivan really just never gonna eat with us?

Vic: Maybe he just doesn't eat.

Jack: he doesn't do group dining. Pass the tortillas.

Ben: Do you think he uses these drills to rank us or something?

Me: What does that even mean?

Ben: Fastest person gets to be his go-to person.

Vic: No. That he "doesn't do" group dining. I mean, it's family style with a group who dines. 

Me: It's not a big deal.

Maya: It makes me feel like we're doing something wrong for eating.

Me: *I look at my watch* Mm. It's uh, almost time for mid-shift lineup.

Maya: Sullivan can't go half a shift without checking in. Was he like this in the Training Academy, too? *looks at Jack*

Jack: Yes. Except there was more, uh, yelling. And he thought my name was "Gelson" 

We all laugh.

Maya: Your belt is missing.

Jack: Oh, damn.

We all start heading out to the barn for our lineup. Jack stopped me when everyone walked out and he kisses me. I smiled and I told him that we had to go. We walked out and kept heading towards the barn. When we're in the barn we stand up straight beside our turnout gears placed neatly on the ground. The captain starts to pace in front of us and stops at Vic. He tells her that she's missing a button on her shirt. Vic tries to explain but he stops her. The captains stops in front of Ben and assigns him on desk duty due to his burnt hand. When he was making his way to Maya, Travis walks in. 

Before he could say something to Maya, dispatch interrupts and calls the engine for a technical rescue. We all ran and put our gear on before we headed into the truck. When we arrived at the scene, Maya, Jack, and I start to put things into the sewer to get a better look. Ryan walks up to us and him and Jack bicker about how he lost the kid. Maya walks away to meet ups with Andy and get more supplies. They come back and they bring back more supplies.

Andy: How's the feed?

Jack: Grimy walls with a lot of waterworks for now, but we'll find him. *catches Andy looking at him* What?

Andy: You're just very optimistic. I mean, it's good on a call like this.

Jack: If I could figure out how to survive a skyscraper explosion, for sure we've got this. 

Andy: Thank you. Yes we can. 

Ryan: Anything yet?

Andy: *looks at us* Officer Tanner is looking for a report.

Maya: Uh, yeah. No sign of Max yet.

Ryan: Logue's breathing down my neck for an update.

Me: Yeah, we hear that.

Maya: I can feel Sullivan's eyes on us just waiting to be impressed.

Andy: Then let's impress him. I'll go check your anchor point.

Jack: Don't sweat it Tanner. It'll pass. 

Ryan: Excuse me?

Jack: The weirdness with Herrera. I mean, she and I were weird for a bit after we broke up, too. We're great now.

Ryan: Great. 

Jack: I'm just saying, don't sweat it. 

Ryan: I'm not sweating anything. *walks away*

Me: *I look up at Jack* So, are you just messing with him now?

Jack: I thought I was being friendly.

Maya: Hmm. To the guy Andy picked over you?

Jack: Ancient history. *looks at me* I mean, we've all moved on. You know, life's too short to be petty.

Maya: Sure.

Jack: That's what I was telling him just now.

Me: Then I don't think he speaks Gibson.

Maya: And neither do I for that matter. I need more slack.

The captain starts to yell for all of us to group up. We ran to him and made a big circle to listen to what he has to say. Once he tells us everything we needed to know, we got to work. Andy walks away with the captain to one of the trucks. I went over to Dean and Vic to help them. I got into the Aid Car with them and we drove around. I let them talk to Dr. DeLuca and I just sit back. We drove back when captain Sullivan told us we may have found the kid. Dr. DeLuca tells him that we should set up decontamination. Vic tries to tell them that they're helping someone who isn't working in the department which led the captain yelling at us to help him. We ran away and followed where they ran to. 

Apparently when we ran away Andy had jumped into the sewer to try and save the kid. The water got more harder which led to the boy getting washed away somewhere else. We had to move somewhere else where we think he landed at. We're asking Ben for help and they ask if we could dig. Ben pauses for a second until he says no, because we were standing on a gas line. 

Maya and Jack comes up with an idea and I realize that they were talking about getting the boy up by himself. He's the only thing that could fit through the pothole instead of us. Maya, Dean, and Vic ran away to get some supplies to help the boy get out. The boy's dad runs over to us as we're setting up the supplies. He talks to his son and tells him to grab the floatie. The boy started to hesitate when his dad came saying he didn't believe anything he said. When his dad finally got through to him, the boy grabbed the floatie and we were able to get him out safely. 

After we dropped off the boy and his dad at the hospital, we went back to the station. We finished off our shift calmly and when we were done we went home. Before I left, Jack had pulled me into a closet. He kissed me and when we finished I left the station.