thirty seven

*Aria's p.o.v*

I walk into the beanery to try and get a cup of coffee. I grab one of my go to mugs and I look at the counter which has a clear glass filled with coffee inside. I pick it up and smelled it and it smelled wonderful. I poured some in my cup, but I got stopped by Travis.

Travis: What are you doing?!

Me: Caffeinating.

Travis: No, no, no, no, no.

He grabs the glass of coffee from my hand and took my mug. He poured what was in the mug back into the clear glass and I looked at him confused.

Travis: This is Medic One coffee I brewed specifically for Warren, okay? It is highly concentrated. For concentration. Can't you see he's trying to study *points at Ben*

Me: *I look over at Ben who's sitting at the dining table* Actually, I didn't see him or hear him or even feel a presence. Why does he look so creepy right now?

Travis: *whispers* He gets that way when he's thinking. I asked him about an in-field procedure literally five minutes ago. Been that way ever since.

Me: *whispers* Did he just twitch?

A couple seconds pass by and Ben suddenly hits the table causing both Travis and I to jump.

Ben: I got it! Congestive heart failure. IV lasix and give nitro *laughs*

Travis and I both look at the book for the answer and realize that he's wrong.

Travis: Mm, no.

Ben: What? No, no, no. That would absolutely work. Oh, giving Lasix and nitro is the right move for someone with CHF. I did it a bunch of times as a surgeon. 

Travis: yeah, but without a chest X-ray you can't be sure. And you can't chest x-ray in the field. It says here, um, your patient could have pneumonia or a pulmonary embolism. 

Ben: Yeah, I need Miller.

Me: Why? Would Miller make you not wrong?

Ben: Well, he's my actual study buddy. No offense, man, but, you know, he's-he's really helpful. Maybe it's his voice, that soothing baritone.

Travis: I made you Medic One coffee.

Me: Where is Miller anyway?

I stayed in the beanery with Travis to keep him company while he made more coffee. I finally convinced him to give me a cup and I was drinking my coffee until Vic approached us.

Vic: *whispers* My hobby proposed to me this morning.

Me: What?!

Travis: What?! *burns himself with the hot water* Ow!

Vic: *laughs* Sorry, sorry, sorry. Not the burn-yourself-with-scalding-hot-coffee kind of proposal.

We all walk to the sink and I sat down on the counter.

Travis: You've only been playing with your new hobby for a few months.

Vic: No, I know. We're not there yet, but things are good. They're...really good, and we would really love to stop being a secret hobby. And more of a "live out loud, show your hobby off in public" kind of- anyway, it turns out one way to circumvent disciplinary action is to sign a piece of paper. 

Travis: A marriage license? Meaning you'd be married?

Vic: Well, yeah, not- I mean not married married, but piece-of-paper married.

Travis: Both of those things last forever. 

Vic: Untrue. We could piece-of-paper break up.

Travis: That's called divorce.