twenty nine

*Aria's p.o.v*

It has been two weeks since the disappearance of Jack. I haven't spoken to anyone and I've been stuck on desk duty since they all still thought I needed help. Every day I have been at the station nonstop. I've basically been living here since I didn't want to keep paying for a hotel. Whenever I get a free break I workout, which is like most of the time. I haven't been sleeping and I haven't been eating as much. 

I'm in the gym and I'm punching the punching bag without gloves again. I stop for a minute to look down at my hands and I notice that my hands has been bleeding. I examine it a bit more and I see it's completely bruised up. I punch the bag one more time in anger and giving a slight yell in pain. I quickly hear footsteps running towards the gym.

Maya: Hey, are you okay?

Me: I'm fine *I walk out of the gym in anger and headed downstairs*

I went to go to find our first aid kits. When I found it, I quickly took out some gauze, alcohol, and something to wrap my hand around. I quickly clean some off the blood off and I put some alcohol on the gauze. I wince at the burning feeling I felt, but I kept on cleaning the wound. Once it was all cleaned up, I wrapped my hand and threw away what I had used. I walked out of the room I was in and I bumped into Andy.

Andy: Aria, are you okay?

Me: Can you guys stop asking me that? I'm fine. *I angrily said and I walked away from her*

I walked back into the gym and turned on the treadmill. I started to run on it at a slow pace until I kept raising the speed up. I didn't even notice some of them walked in to work out. When I did notice, I stopped running and I turned my head around. It was Travis and Vic. I haven't spoken to Travis after I yelled at him two weeks ago. I got off of the treadmill and I walked out of the gym slamming the door. I can't even get peace here anymore. 

*Andy's p.o.v*

*4 months later*

It had been four months since the accident Sullivan and I were in. Today I was getting awarded a medal. We were all sitting in the room together watching as my dad started his speech.

Pruitt: We talk a lot about bravery on this job. But on some occasions, a firefighter goes beyond the call of duty. Now, that kind of bravery...we call that valor. And I could not be more proud to award this Medal of Valor to Lieutenant Herrera for her bravery, her strength, and her exceptional service the night of the windstorm. A night we will all remember. Sadly, Captain Sullivan was unable to be with us here today. But he wouldn't be with us at all if it wasn't for the heroics of one woman on this stage. My daughter, Andrea Herrera.  

I stand up from my chair and I walked towards my dad. He put the medal on me and I smiled at him once I lifted my head. He walked back and sat down as I took his previous spot on the stage. 

Me: Um...I um...uh...thank you. *I quickly walked off of the stage*

I walk out of the building with Ryan following right behind me.

Ryan: Look, I know the windstorm was tough. You don't feel like you deserve a medal or praise or- can you please slow down? Just stop a second.

Me: Nope. Got to get home. I have some drinking to do. You wanna keep talking at me? You can do it there.

*Maya's p.o.v*

I'm waiting outside of the therapist office to wait for Jack to come out. I'm waiting right outside the door until I see him coming out.

Jack: You know, when I said that meeting me after every therapy session was unnecessary, I meant it.

Me: And when I said I didn't mind, I meant it, too. Did she clear you for duty?

Jack: Negative.

Me: You'll get there. You coming tonight to the party? I can give you a ride.

Jack: Also negative.

Me: Oh come on! Your messy hair can come, too *I mess up his hair a bit* It'll be fun. Snacks and drinks on me.

Jack: No, I'm not ready to see anyone.

Me: It's been four months.

Jack: I said no. But how is Aria holding up?

Me: She's not. She's pushing everyone away and working out a bit too much.

Jack: Keep an eye on her. Take care of her for me.

Me: You know she's putting all this pressure on herself because of you right?

Jack: I know.

I watch as he walks away and I stand in the parking lot watching as he disappears.

*Aria's p.o.v*

I'm laying down on the bed looking at the ceiling. My phone keeps getting bombarded with messages. I open up my phone to see who was annoying my peace now. Maya. I'm gonna kill her. I load up all the messages she had sent and read them.

9 text messages and 5 missed calls

4:00pm

The award ceremony is done.

4:30 pm

We're throwing a party at my apartment.

Are you coming?

5:00 pm

I know you're reading these.

So, are you coming or not?

There's food and alcohol.

6:00 pm

Are you okay? 

Are you finally sleeping?

Everyone's asking if you're coming.

I took a deep breath and closed my phone leaving her on read. I put my phone on silent and decided to try and fall asleep again.