thirty nine

*Aria's p.o.v*

It was the next morning, and I woke up exhausted. I fell asleep around 3 in the morning. I looked at the clock and it reads '6:30'. I got up and put some workout clothes on. Once I had everything on, I went out on a run. 

*a couple hours later*

After I finished my workout, I made my way to the station. I changed into my uniform when I heard someone crying. I looked out at the corner and saw Maya crying.

Me: Are you crying?

Maya: *shakes her head* No.

Me: Then what's in your eyes?

Maya: *turns around with puffy eyes* I said I wasn't crying, and I meant it. 

She walks over to me and puts a black band over my badge.

Me: You don't need to feel embarrassed about this. We're all a little messed up over Ripley. And plus I'm your sister, you can cry in front of me anytime. You want me to grab you a tissue?

Maya: Nope.

Me: You gonna grab one yourself?

Maya: Negative, cause I don't need one.

Me: I think you do.

Maya: No, I don't, because I'm not crying.

Me: Do you want to talk about this?

Maya: Absolutely not.

Me: But you always want to talk.

Dean walks in talking on the phone. Once he hung up, he put on his uniform and walked over to us.

Dean: Bishop, you okay?

Maya: Don't forget this. Okay. *sighs and walks away*

We all get out of the locker room and went inside the beanery. We're all sitting around the table eating and Dean is watching the news about the wildfire going on in California.

Dean: Look at that. Not even 10% contained. I hope the winds don't shift.

Andy: Just got word. California's requesting supplies. This one's gonna get worse before it gets better. We'll organize shipments for Seattle departments to take down to L.A. 

Ben: it's like bad on top of bad, you know? First, Ripley dies, and now this. Seems like we all could have used a little pause. Hey, how's Vic?

Maya: Uh, she split without saying goodbye this morning.

Ben: How are you doing?

Maya: *sniffling* Just my allergies are acting up.

Andy: Has anybody heard from Vic today?

Vic: Morning! You guys seeing these wildfires? This thing just won't stop. *looks at all of us with a smile* Yeah. Okay. Okay, go on. Get all your staring out of your system, and then let's move on. Okay? Grieving Little Arm Candy's in the house. Drinking coffee. Ready to move forward. We all good now? Great. Okay. Back to your regularly scheduled programs, please.

Dean: Hey. You sure you want to be here?

Vic: I didn't come to work today cause I didn't want to be here, so...

Travis: How about I take you back home? To Maya and Andy's, or if you want a change of scenery, come stay with me.

Vic: Why? Cause I shouldn't go home home? Back to the place I spent so much time with him? Back to the bed we shared? You don't want me sleeping in that? Sorry. Sorry. That was- That was not fair. I'd love to come crash after shift, but right now, I'm working, so...