45 THE CAGE THAT IS BLUE LOCK

45. THE CAGE THAT IS BLUE LOCK

*⋆。˚𖦹࣪˖ ִֶָ⋆。°✩

YOU

glare at Ego, eyes narrowed hard. You hope he understands what you're feeling at this moment, from how sharp your glare is. "Are you serious?" You ask, with more venom in your voice than you intended.

What you really want to say to him is—"Are you fucked in the head?" But you guess that saying that to your boss, who can fire you at any time, isn't the greatest idea.

"Deadly." Ego answers, voice as nasally as always, and it sounds more like a shriek for help than anything. "If you refuse, I will not choose you to be the starting manager. The whole reason for your existence within Blue Lock is to make their lives as easy as possible—but to also reign them in when they are out of line. Shidou Ryusei is out of line. I don't believe he will behave himself-at least, without you there."

His explanation makes too much sense to you that it pisses you off even more. But still, all you can do is grit your teeth and keep your head down so he can't see your expression. As if living with him for a few days wasn't bad enough...

Ego explains further—you're listening, but barely—"Sae Itoshi picked him to be in the u-20 team, out of everyone in Blue Lock. You won't be there for the entire time—you will be switched out for another manager after a selected amount of time and you will return back here in Blue Lock."

Anri speaks up, voice nervous and cheeks flushed, "O—Only a day or three at most. We don't want to give you too much of a workload. You guys already make our lives so much easier."

You like Anri—she's nice, she does nice things for you managers, and she even allowed you a single day above Blue Lock whenever you want it, which is a lot for a place like this and somebody like Ego—but right now, all you can think is, Of course, we do.

I mean—you and the other girls do all the cooking. You manually wake up Nagi. You deal with the physical fights (your most frequent visitor is Ryusei Shidou himself). You also deal with injuries. You oversee training, and games. And at the end of the day—you crash into your bed, deep into a slumber, before it repeats all over again. I feel like I'm underappreciated by Ego sometimes. To stick me with Shidou again... he must despise me.

"If Shidou causes too much trouble, he'll be dropped, then the game will be cancelled, and Blue Lock will be finished." Ego explains morbidly—as if Blue Lock being cancelled wouldn't ruin your entire life—"Think of this as extra responsibility not just for him—but yourself, too."