Secret Admirer

#Kessa

"Raquel, are you almost done?" Kessa asked. She was in her room getting ready for the March of Dimes fundraising program. Kessa's friend Raquel was sowing in the rest of her weave. But she was determined to have Raquel finish her hair; she wouldn't leave the room until it was done. Her friend, the DJ, was already at the program. Since she had fulfilled her obligation to the program, she didn't see being a little late as a big deal.

Besides, her hair had to look good, if nothing else. Kessa had to work at Taco Cabana tonight, the gig she picked up during training. She didn't want Landon to find out, not out of fear she'd get caught breaking policy—having an outside job without permission—but she hated needing the okay for a measly seven dollars an hour.

"Yes, this is the last track," Raquel answered when someone knocked on the door. Raquel looked through the peep hole. "It's Will and the two white girls." Raquel looked back at Kessa with a smirk.

"Oh, corny and the cornettes," Kessa said jokingly. "You can open it." Kessa usually didn't like people seeing her getting her hair done, especially if she'd have to give an education on black hair products or trends. The questions particularly annoyed her. That's not your real hair? How long does this take? Can you wash it?

Raquel opened the door. Standing there was Will, Shandi and Carly, whose faces couldn't hide their disapproval.

"You know we heard you, right?" accused Will.

"Just playing, Will, don't be sensitive," Kessa insisted with a smile.

"I'm the least sensitive person!" Will said defensively. "Anyway, we're just rounding up residents and we stopped by to see what was taking you so long... and I see." Will looked over Kessa's new 'do while Carly and Shandi stood there in silence, looking intimidated as if they weren't really sure how to interact with Kessa when she voiced her opinions.

"I'll be there in 10 minutes, promise," Kessa said and shooed them away.

#Alana

In front of the hall across from the Student Union was the glorious Great Lawn where the program was held. Students were scattered across the lawn, along with inflatables, dunk tanks and sumo wrestling suites. The whole scene looked like a carnival, and smelled like one too. The only thing missing was the foul smell of wild animals.

A cloud couldn't be seen for miles. The perfect heat of the day created a contagious energy among the attendees, and they roared with laughter. Loud, fun-filled conversations could be heard from any spot on the lawn.

Alana and Owen worked the face painting booth. Several kids from the community got their faces painted and ran around the lawn, giggling. Alana was delighted that her additional advertising on the beach had paid off, practically painting a permanent smile on her face.

"Are your parents coming for Parents Weekend?" asked Alana, taking advantage of the break they had before the next rush of kids came through to get their faces painted. She pulled out a baby wipe and rolled her hands in it.

"Unfortunately, yes," grumbled Owen.

Alana's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Do you not want them to come?" she asked. She wished her parents could visit. Her mother hadn't been feeling well lately.

"That obvious?" Alana looked at Owen, waiting for him to continue. Owen caught on. "They don't know... well, that I'm gay," whispered Owen.

"Oh... would they be upset?" Alana tilted her head with interest.

"Upset? Interesting word choice. More like "die"—they would die. For. Sure. I was even contemplating asking you to be my girlfriend for the weekend as a cover. I'm sure my parents are curious as to why I never have one." His cheeks sagged more than usual.