Incognito

#Marcus

Later that night Marcus was hanging out with his new friends in the Village Apartments on the other side of campus. Eyes heavy from exhaustion, he looked at the guys around the room. He prayed it was worth it. A family tradition that had finally reached him seemed to lose its value as he yawned.

He hadn't slept. Not because of an RA thing or studying, but because a guy had been keeping watch in his room overnight, making sure he didn't sleep. Forty eight hours—that's how long it had been since he had a visit from REM sleep. A few times he dosed off in class but his phone alarm saved him every time. Either he'd stay awake or endure harsher punishment. And Marcus couldn't face anything worse; he'd heard stories.

When Marcus was allowed to leave the apartment that night, he jumped to his feet and flew out the door. All he could think about was his bed and how much he needed to get in it. And for the first time he was glad he'd be alone tonight. No girls to entertain or share his bed or body with. He blinked, and his eyes struggled to open. If it hadn't been for the misty rain wetting his face, he could have fallen asleep walking to his car.

Marcus stopped, still as stone as the rain picked up. He tried to understand what he was seeing. A girl stepped up to the railing, her facial expression and demeanor aloof. Marcus walked closer to her. Oh my god... is this girl about to jump? he thought. His heart went into overdrive as his feet hit the cement path toward the girl with long raven hair.

"Hey, excuse me... you all right?" asked Marcus, his voice quivering involuntarily.

Slowly the dark-haired girl turned and glared at him with a possessed look in her eyes. Marcus knew the girl wasn't all there; the thought gave him a deep chill. She looked out into nothing, continuing to balance her weight on the railing.

"I'm not going to pretend to understand why you're doing this, but I want to help you," offered Marcus, his throat feeling as though cotton balls were lodged in it.

"I'm fine, I just thought I'd get a better look..." muttered the girl lifelessly.

Marcus hadn't noticed at first, but she was wearing a white, sleeveless dress that was saturated with what he presumed to be water. Her wrist was bleeding, the blood trickling down to her fingertips and dripping onto the walkway.

"Why don't you come down and talk with me? I'm sure you'll be able to see it from here," Marcus encouraged, hopeful that the girl would at least consider the idea.

Marcus jerked back as she jumped down and began moving raggedly towards him. "I'm glad you came down to talk with me." Marcus felt queasy.

"Yes... yes, talking is... good," agreed the girl, with the same far-off look in her eyes.

Marcus knew he couldn't be alone with this girl for much longer. He pulled his cell phone from his jacket and called the RA on call.

The girl didn't say anything; she just stood there on the walkway staring at Marcus the whole time.

Tiffany answered the phone, and Marcus could hear the disgust in her voice. He had been forced to put their relationship on pause without reason, and she was pissed. However, Marcus explained quickly, and Tiffany jumped into RA mode. She insisted that Marcus bring the student to her apartment while she called the pro-staff.

Once they arrived at Tiffany's, the unknown girl walked in and sat on the couch, not even looking at Tiffany. Marcus and Tiffany shared a this is crazy look.

"I'm not sure what's wrong with this girl. I don't think it's drugs. Do you recognize her?" whispered Marcus, shaking his head as he stood at the door with Tiffany.