Blurred Lines Crossing

#Carly

Carly waited underneath a gazebo near the hall. She had taken Jody's advice and done something romantic for Patrick. Yesterday she had sent Patrick a special package who she had one of his roommates deliver. It was clear by her last visit she wasn't welcome at his apartment.

In the package were three items: first, she had created a shadow box full of all her favorite moments they shared together. Then she listed all of the qualities she loved about him, putting it in a gold-trimmed frame. A card followed the gifts, and it explained her regret and apology for cheating on him. The last line in the card was an invitation to tonight; she wanted to make up in person in a special way.

As Carly stood under the gazebo, she began lighting candles. The campus lights were dull that night. Then, off in the distance, she saw a familiar frame—it was Patrick. She wasn't sure if he'd accepted her invitation or not. She didn't request for him to respond in advance. She just said she'd be waiting for him regardless.

Carly smiled. "Patrick, thanks for coming."

Patrick smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Dance with me?" she asked as she stepped toward her music player to press the play button. It was their song.

"Okay," said Patrick as he looked into Carly's eager eyes. She couldn't wait to wrap her arms around Patrick; it had been over a month since he'd touched her affectionately.

As they danced, Carly was filled with an undeniable emotion. She felt like crying as he held her close to him. It had been too long.

"Patrick, I am sorry," she said, looking into his eyes. "I don't know of any other way to say it. When I'm with you, I'm at home. You're the only person I feel safe with... please forgive me."

Patrick paused for a moment, his expression thoughtful. "Carly, I don't know how I can trust you. I love you, I always will. But how do I know you won't cheat on me again with Ethan? I'm concerned. You don't just work together, you live together under the same roof. How am I supposed to deal with that? Especially after we got into a fight..."

"What? You fought Ethan?" said Carly, shocked. She'd never known Patrick to fight anyone, let alone someone as massive as Ethan, who was looking more like The Incredible Hulk every day. She knew Patrick wouldn't have a chance if they did fight.

"Never mind."

"I don't love Ethan, trust me, you don't have to worry about me and him," said Carly reassuringly as she clung to Patrick desperately. He was silent as they danced in the autumn moonlit night. The candles flickered as the wind blew.

Gazing up at Patrick, Carly caressed his face and kissed him softly on the lips. "Let me show you... you are the only one I want, Patrick. Stay with me tonight," said Carly without any reservation in her voice.

Patrick couldn't resist the extended invitation. He kissed her back tenderly and lovingly.

Holding hands, Patrick and Carly started to clean up, wrapping the sheet and blowing out the candle. She couldn't wait until they got back to the hall so she could be with him alone.

He carried her radio, leaving the candles behind on the table. She told him they weren't allowed in the building anyway. As they walked toward the building, Carly could hardly keep her hands off of Patrick, caressing his arm and pulling herself closer to him. She missed him tremendously and couldn't get back to the hall fast enough so she could prove it.

Once they reached Corbin Hall and went through the lobby doors, they noticed Kessa and Marcus on duty. They were so deep in conversation they barely looked in Carly and Patrick's direction. Carly went behind the front desk to put back the borrowed radio, then turned back to Patrick who was now standing by the elevator. She walked up to him, and her hand found his. She squeezed it tightly as they waited for the elevator. When the elevator opened, Carly had the strangest feeling that her night with Patrick had come to an abrupt end. Ethan stood there, shirtless, looking Carly over with a been-there-done-that expression.