Hope

#Alana #Landon

Alana, clumsy from exhaustion, stumbled her way around her dark room. Barely able to see the light switch through the tears collecting in her eyes, she blinked repeatedly. She flicked on the light and pulled out her blue jeans and a fitted sweater from her closest, changing quickly.

Trying to think through the stress headache that was starting to form, Alana jumped on her laptop to check the bus schedule. Not having a car had never posed a problem until now; she needed to get home and get home fast. After hastily booking a Yellow taxi, she grabbed her small suitcase and packed a few things. From the sound of Sophia's voice, Alana knew her mother's condition was severe. She wanted to be prepared if her stay at home lasted for days.

Remembering that Landon requested that staff inform him if they weren't planning to be in the building overnight or for long periods of time, she picked up her cell phone. She knew that at least one or both circumstances applied to her. Not knowing if he had returned to the building after the homecoming dance, she opted to call his cell phone.

"Hello," answered a lethargic Landon.

Alana's forehead wrinkled; she felt horrible for waking him up. "Landon, I'm so sorry to bother you," she croaked. Clearing her throat, she hoped that her tone would be more recognizable.

Hearing Alana's broken voice woke him up immediately. "Alana... what's wrong?"

The tears and subtle sobbing began again. "I need to go home, it's my mom... they're taking her to the hospital."

"Oh no," he breathed. "I'm sorry... do you have a ride?" asked Landon, remorse in his voice. Hearing Alana so hurt truly affected him; he wished he could take on all the pain she was experiencing in her place.

Wiping away her tears and controlling the urge to cry profusely, Alana took in a deep breath and sighed. "I'm taking the bus, I already booked a cab," explained Alana. She didn't want to bother any of her friends or staff mates with her issues, especially since midterms were next week and she was confident that many of them were still celebrating or too hung over to drive her anywhere.

"Meet me in the lobby in five minutes, I'm taking you," he said without hesitation.

Alana's squinted, shaking her head back and forth. "Landon, no that's okay... you don't have to, really, I'll be fine."

"I'll see you in five minutes," he said as if he didn't even hear her last comment.

Alana came to the lobby a few minutes later, and Landon was already standing there by the front desk, keys in hand. She adjusted the bags she was carrying over her shoulder, her purse and a small overnight bag. His eyes met hers, and though she was extremely distressed, the sight of his face brought relief.

Landon studied Alana in that brief moment, trying to think of the right words to say in such a moment, but nothing worthy came to mind. His expression was thoughtful as he reached out to take her bags. "You ready?" he asked as he gently took the bags off of her shoulders.

Alana's bright emerald eyes appeared grayer and her cheeks were flushed crimson. She stared back at Landon, vulnerable and humbled that he was willing to take her home, especially at this hour. "Thank you," she whispered.

Landon's face softened. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and hold her until the pain disappeared. "Anytime," he sighed. "We should go..." He led the way toward the lobby doors.

On the road, Landon and Alana sat in silence for a while. Alana stared out the windshield, taking in the beauty of the night despite her horrific situation. She imagined every star being visible in the sky if the city lights weren't so luminous.