32

I sat in breadstix next to Finn across from Kurt's dad, Burt aka my boss, and my mom. Kurt suddenly started banging on his glass with his spoon.

"A toast." he began "Tonight is a momentous occasion. It marks the first real communion between the Hummel and the Hudson clans." Kurt continued.

I glanced over at Finn who was silently drinking his drink. The nervousness is radiating off of him. "I imagine that when the Bouvier's and the Kennedys first broke bread, there was a similar sense of joy and urgency. So let me raise my Shirley Temple to our new little family." he concluded as Burt raised his glass.

"Just to get this lingering thought out of my head. Will I be getting a higher pay now that I'm your future step-son?" I questioned Burt "Don't tempt it." he said as his smile fell.

I nodded and leaned back into my seat. "We're not a family." Finn spoke up "Finn-" our mother started "It's cool." Burt started "You're right. Your mom and I just enjoy each other's company right now. Let's just enjoy dinner. I mean, I'm buying, right?" Burt said to Finn.

I rolled my eyes at how hard my mother was smiling "What are you, playing basketball now?" Burt asked "Yeah, but I actually kind of like football better." Finn said "Well next time don't leave the team." I mumbled "Griffin!" My mother scolded me.

"Sounds crazy but I miss getting hit." Finn said "I don't." I scoffed "Pure boyish insanity." Kurt said. "No, it isn't. I totally get that. I used to love the feeling of getting my clock cleaned and then popping right up. Kind of reminded me of being alive." Burt said, Finn and I nodded in agreement.

"Why hasn't anyone commented on the new jeans that I got Carole. Notice that the waist band falls below the belly button. A welcome change." Kurt changed the subject, obviously uncomfortable.

"Sure Kurt." Burt brushed him off "Hey you know, I sell tires to one of the assistant coaches from the Browns. I can probably get you two tickets, if you wanna go." Burt offered to me and Finn.

"What, really?! That'd be awesome. Finn's never been to an NFL game live before. But I have." I smiled as Finn finally stopped slouching in excitement. "Well, it'll be no problem." Burt smiled.

"Wow. You know, for a place called Breadstix, these really suck." Finn pointed out "I honestly don't even see why Santana loves this place." I frowned in agreement, everyone laughing except Kurt.

__________________________________

Quinn rushed past me and grabbed my arm "What the hell is happening?" I asked as she dragged me along "Mercedes fainted at lunch. Coach Sylvester has been pressuring her into losing weight so she stopped eating." she explained hurriedly, but her words sounded incoherent to me.

"Wait, wait, wait, Wait." I said pulling myself to a stop "Can you calm down and explain whatever you said slower." I said as she turned back to me.

"Mercedes fainted at lunch. Coach Sylvester has started to force her into a strict diet to lose weight for the Cheerios team. So she hallucinated and saw everyone as food then fainted. I'm gonna bring her a snack and talk to her." She said more clearly and held up a granola bar before walking towards the nurses office. I trailed behind.

Quinn leaned on a chair I was sitting on in the nurses office before finally walking over to talk to Mercedes. I stayed in my seat letting Quinn do her thing.

She handed the granola bar to Mercedes but she didn't take it "Thanks. I'm not hungry." Mercedes said "Yes, you are. You're starving." Quinn stated.

"I know. I've been there. Did all the other kids start looking like food right before you fainted?" Quinn questioned. "Why is her voice so soothing." I thought to myself as I leaned back in my chair.