Chapter 4

The Kids Are Alright

Dean's pov

"So you can see this...shadow woman now?" Sam asked as he looked over at me from the passenger seat of the Impala. 

"Yeah." I sighed. "I don't know what the hell is going on with it, but yeah." I glanced in the rearview mirror to see Si lying in the backseat, sleeping with her hands tucked under the pillow she kept in the car. 

She hasn't been sleeping well lately, especially at night. 

"Speaking of Saige...with your whole...deal, you still planning on--" Sam began.

"I don't know. Millie asked the same thing." I cut him off. "I'm not sure what'd she'd say or if it'd hurt her more than help."

Sam scoffed. "She's with you, Dean. Fully. I mean, head over heels, ride or die type of with you. I don't think she'll ever move on no matter what you do or do not ask her. I think you're scared."

"I am not scared." I scoffed. 

"Yes, you are." Sam said. "You're scared she'll say no and hate you. That's why you didn't ask her six and a half months ago when you bought the ring."

"No, I was biding  time for...a good moment. I was waiting until after I gave her the necklace for her birthday, but other things happened."

"Just ask her."

"I don't know how."

"It's easy, Dean. Four words." Sam shook his head, smiling.

"You're enjoying this too much." I stated. 

"Maybe."

___

Saige's pov

"What do you mean you don't think it'll work, Bobby. It's a demon dispelling ritual." Sam said as he and I sat at a small table in a cafe. 

Dean knocked on the window we sat by suddenly, making me jump and tear my eyes from the newspaper. He winked at me before heading for the door.

"Well, maybe we got the translation wrong." Sam said. "No, we can't just let Dean fry in hell while we-- Well, there's gotta be something--Okay, yeah. No. I gotta go. Never mind." He snapped his computer shut as Dean sat down beside me. 

Dean leaned in to kiss my cheek, setting an arm around the back of my chair. "Who was that?"

"Oh, I was just ordering a pizza." Sam lied.

"Dude, you do realize that you're in a restaurant?" Dean asked. 

"Yeah. Oh, yeah. I just felt like pizza, you know?" Sam replied. 

I rolled my eyes. "He's being a dork. He was on the phone with Millie. She called."

Which was technically true. It just happened before Sam's phone call with Bobby. 

"Okay, Weirdy McWeirderton." Dean said. "Why wouldn't you just tell me you were on the phone with a chick?"

"He knew you'd make fun of him." I grabbed a fry from my plate, popping it into my mouth. "Anyway, I think I found a case. So that means dinner and movie, Dean-O, don't forget."

"Wouldn't dream of it." He replied. 

"What is it?" Sam asked.

"Cicero, Indiana." I said. "This guy falls on his own power saw." 

"And?" Sam asked, taking the newspaper. "What, that's it? One power saw?"

"There were a few more odd deaths. Nothing that seemed to connect other than they were all parents. Oh, and they're all from the same suburb. Kinda like those bug deaths we dealt with a while ago."