Chapter 44

Again, you're welcome for the picture up top. Yes, this is partially because the next chapters will be sad. Don't think about that. Think about this. ☝️

Also check out Ultraviolence by @wandashug. It's a Dean fanfic (obviously). 

Time Is On My Side

We walked up the stairs of a house in Canaan, Vermont. A sign hung on the door reading, No Solicitors. That Means You!! No Asking For Donations. No Selling Anything.

Dean rung the doorbell, then knocked on the door. The camera above the door turned to get a better view of us. 

"What?" A man asked over the intercom. Rufus Turner was the man Bobby sent us to see.

"Hi, uh, Rufus." Dean began.

"Yeah, even if I am, the question is still the same. What?" Rufus asked.

"Uh, I'm Dean Winchester, I'm a friend of Bobby Singer's." Dean told him. 

"So?"

"You called him this morning."

"So?"

Dean laughed a little. "Uh, ahem, you told Bobby about a British chick, made contact with you."

"Yeah, and so?"

"You know where she is?" 

"Yeah."

"Great. Could you tell me where I could find her?"

"No."

"Of course not." Dean muttered. He cleared his throat. "Look, Rufus, man, heh--"

The door swung open. A dark skinned man stepped out. "Look, let me point something out to you. You are knocking at my door, so don't 'look, man' me. I'm not your man."

"I'm sorry, sir." Dean said. 

"We really are sorry to bother you." I added.

"I'm gonna tell you a little story. Once upon a time, Bobby called me. Asked me to call him if I got a whiff of Bela Talbot." Rufus said. "I got a whiff, I called. The end." 

"Okay, if you could just tell me where she is, I mean, that's be great." Dean told him. 

"Uh, he doesn't want us here anymore. Read the room." I whispered, grabbing Dean's arm. 

"Dean Winchester, right?" Rufus asked.

"Yeah." Dean nodded.

"Dean, does it look like I'm here to help you?" 

"I'm gonna say no." 

"Then get the hell off my property." 

"Alright, hey, fair enough. I got one more question for you though." Dean reached into the duffle bag slung over his shoulder. "See, I got this, ahem, bottle of Scotch and, uh...is this considered good?" He held up the boxed bottle of alcohol. 

Rufus smiled.

___

We sat at a table in Rufus' house as he poured us a glass of Scotch. "Well, bottoms up." Dean said.

"You know, I don't even bother drinking unless it's this stuff." Rufus stated. "Nectar of the gods, I'm telling you."

Evie reached for my untouched glass. I slid it further away from the edge of the table.

"Yeah, it's a nice change, you know." Dean agreed. "Most of my whiskey comes from a plastic jug." He and Rufus laughed a little. "So Bela was here because...?"

"She wanted to buy a couple of things." Rufus stated. "Which is gonna take me some time to round up."

"Where is she now?" I asked. 

"Kid, can I ask you something?" Rufus looked between Dean and I. 

"Sure." Dean nodded.

"You got three weeks left. Why are you wasting your time chasing after that skinny, stuck up English girl?" 

Dean scoffed. "How do you know about that?"

Rufus leaned forward. "Because I know things. I know a lot of things about a lot of people." 

"That so?" Dean asked. 

"I know ain't no pea shooter gonna save you." Rufus stated, making my heart clench painfully. 

"What makes you so sure?" Dean asked, downing the alcohol.

"Because that's the job, kid." Rufus stated. "Even if you manage to scrape out of this one there's just gonna be something else down the road. Folks like us...there ain't no happy ending. We all got it coming."

"Well, if you think like that you sure as hell ain't gonna have one." I muttered. 

"Well, ain't you a bucket of sunshine." Dean remarked. 

"I'm what you got to look forward to if you survive." Rufus stated. "Which you won't." 

I stood. "I need some air." 

I made my way to the door, stepping out, trying to catch my breath. It's okay. It's fine. 

I sink down on the front steps, trying to keep the tears at bay. 

"Come on back inside, sweetheart." Dean sat down next to me.

"I can't." I said, holding Evie to my chest.

"Why not?"

"Because I'll snap, Dean." I whispered. "I can't take this anymore. For my entire 26 years on this planet, I've been told stuff like that. I've been told how nothing good will ever happen, I'll just end up dead on some backroad in the middle of nowhere, that everything I do is for nothing. I'm tired, Dean. I'm so tired of this. For the last almost three years I've been told that there's evil inside of me. That I can't stop it. I've spent my whole life trying to stay with this glass half full mentality. I just...I'm scared and I'm tired." 

Dean sighed. "Come here."

I slid closer, letting him pull me into his side. 

"Come on back inside, okay?" Dean pressed a kiss to my head. "It's okay."

"Alright." I sighed, standing. 

"You know, Si, the fact that after everything you still have that optimistic outlook...it's one of the things I love about you." Dean told me as he pulled open the door. We made our way back to the table where Rufus sat. "So like I was saying, you're right where we know. Nothing on Bela."

"Nope." Rufus said. 

Dean gave him a questioning look as we sat down. 

"You do her ear?" Rufus asked.

"Sorry?" Dean replied.

"You do her ear?"

"Did I do her...?" Dean mumbled. "Hey, man, I'll try anything once, but I don't know, that sounds uncomfortable." 

I gave him a look. "Dean Winchester." 

"Ears are as unique to humans as fingerprints." Rufus stated. 

"No kidding." Dean muttered.

"Course, that don't fly in the courts over here, but in England?" Rufus continued. "They're all over it. A friend of a friend of a friend faxed me 10 pages of confidential files within a day. All I had to send him was one clean shot of the security camera."

"Right. One clean shot of her ear." Dean said.

Rufus stood, grabbed a file from his desk and dropped it in front of us. "The so called Bela Talbot."