Chapter 7

Bad Day At Black Rock

"Because demon, that's why." Dean snapped as I stared out the window into the darkness as he drove. "Because the second you find out that this Ruby chick is a demon, you go for the holy water, you don't chat." 

"No one was chatting, Dean. Ask Saige." Sam replied.

"You knew about this?" Dean asked. 

"I left before any chatting was done." I stated. "Didn't care to listen to demon rambling."

"Why didn't you send her ass back to hell?" Dean asked, looking over at Sam. 

We had barely made it out of town before Sam decided to tell Dean about our encounter with a demon named Ruby earlier that day.

"Because--Because she said she might be able to help us out." Sam explained.

"How?" Dean asked. Sam didn't answer. "No, really, Sam, how? How could she possibly help us?"

"She told me she could help you, okay?" Sam admitted. "Help you out of the crossroads deal."

"What is wrong with you, huh? She's lying." Dean stated. "You gotta know that, don't you? She knows what your weakness is. It's me. What else did she say?" 

Sam didn't answer.

"Dude?" 

"Nothing." Sam mumbled. Dean looked at him. "Nothing, okay? Look, I'm not an idiot, Dean. I'm not talking about trusting her. I'm talking about using her. I mean, we're at war, right? We don't know jack about the enemy. We don't know where they are, what they're doing, what they want. Now, this Ruby girl knows more than we will ever find out on our own. Now, yes, it's a risk. I know that, but we need to take it."

"You're okay, right? I mean, you're feeling fine." Dean asked.

"Yes, I'm fine." Sam scoffed. "Why are you always asking me that?"

"Can we please stop yelling and arguing?" I asked. "Some of us are trying to sleep off a concussion." 

A phone rang.

"It's not mine." Sam sighed.

"Nope." Dean stated.

"I told Millie we were picking her up once we got to my house. She's not calling." I tucked my hands under my pillow, shutting my eyes as I lay down in the backseat. 

"Check the glove department. It' dad's." Dean stated.

"Dads?" Sam asked.

"Yes, and be quiet." Dean said. "I keep it charged up in case any of his old contacts call." 

Sam grabbed the phone and answered, "Hello?" A pause. "Yes, this is Edgar Cayce...No, no, no. Don't call the police. I'll handle this myself." A short pause. "Thanks. You know, can you just, uh...? Can you just lock it back up for me? Great. I, uh, I don't have my book in front of me. Do you--Do you have the address so I--?" He gestured to a pen.

"Si? Pen? Where?" Dean asked. 

"It fell in the floor back here." I picked up the pen, holding it between the brothers. 

Sam took it. "Sure. Okay. Go ahead...Right. Thanks." He hung up. "Dad ever tell you about a container at a storage place?"

"What?" Dean asked.

"Outside of Buffalo?"

"No way."

"Yeah. And someone just broke in." Sam stated. 

___

Turns out I wouldn't be making it back home for the moment. Dean promised as soon as we were done here, he'd take me there so I could get whatever I needed.