Chapter 28

Dream A Little Dream Of Me

Dean and I found Sam and Millie in a bar. He stared into a glass of whiskey as Millie flipped through a magazine. "There you are. What are you doing?" Dean asked, taking a seat beside his brother. 

Sam shrugged. "Having a drink."

Dean glanced at the clock. "It's two in the afternoon. Drinking whiskey?"

Sam shrugged again. "I drink whiskey all the time."

"Yeah, and I'm a freaking unicorn." Millie spoke up. 

"No, you don't." Dean corrected. 

"What's the big deal?" Sam asked.

I adjusted Evie on my hip, sighing. "Sam, you're drinking whiskey at two in the afternoon. Something's not right."

Sam rolled his eyes, looking to Dean. "You get sloppy in bars, hit on chicks all the time. Why can't I?"

"First of all, I don't hit on chicks...anymore." Dean said, glancing around. "Second of all, it's kind of slim pickings around here. What's going on with you?"

Sam shook his head, looking back at the glass. "I tried, Dean."

Dean looked at him for a moment. "To do what?"

"To save you." 

Dean sighed. "Could I get a whiskey, double, neat." 

"I'm serious, Dean." Sam said.

"No, you're drunk." 

"Drunk, serious, brooding, same thing." Millie shrugged. 

"I mean, where you're going...what you're gonna become." Sam said, tears in his eyes. He scoffed. "I can't stop it."

My eyes stung as I cleared my throat as Evie leaned forward and tugged on Dean's coat. 

"I'm starting to think even Ruby can't stop it." Sam continued. 

"We'll figure this out." I whispered, more so to myself than anything. 

Dean--with an odd look in his eye--turned to me, lifting Evie into his arms. 

"But really, the thing is no one can save you." Sam said. 

"That's what I've been telling you." Dean replied.

"Yeah, you've been a bucket of sunshine about this whole situation." I sighed. 

"No, that's not what I mean." Sam said. "I mean, no one can save you because you don't want to be saved. I mean, how can you care so little about yourself? What's wrong with you?"

"I've been asking the same question, Sammy. He doesn't have an answer." I muttered. 

Dean's phone rang. He pulled it from his pocket and Evie reached up to take it. He raised it to his ear as she grabbed onto his finger. "Hello?" He paused. "Yes, this is Mr. Sniderson...what? Where?" He asked, eyes wide and worry in his voice.

___

We stood at Bobby's bedside in the hospital with the doctor. "So what's the diagnosis?" Sam asked. 

"We've tested everything we can think to test." The doctor shrugged. "He seem perfectly healthy."

"Except that he's comatose." Dean pointed out. 

"Mr. Sniderson, you're his emergency contact. Anything we should know? Any illnesses?"

"No, he never gets sick. I mean, he doesn't even catch a cold." Dean explained.