Chapter 36

Jus In Bello

"They're coming!" I heard Dean yell from a hall away. "Hurry!"

I poured salt at the windowsill, watching as a large cloud of black smoke barreled toward the building. The lights flickered. 

I made my way back to the lobby where everyone was gathering as the building shook as the black smoke hit the walls, covering all the windows until it was pitch black in here. 

Seconds later, it retreated. The lights flickered to life and the moonlight streamed through the windows. 

"Everybody okay?" Sam asked.

"Define okay." Henriksen replied. 

"Not dead." I filled in.

"Alright, everybody needs to put these on." Dean pulled small charms that hung on a necklace chain out of the duffle bag. He handed one to Nancy, Henriksen, and Amici.

"What about you guys?" Nancy asked. 

We each pulled down the neckline of our shirt, revealing anti-possession tattoos just under our collarbones. 

I still remembered the night we got those and how it wasn't the only tattoo I'd gotten. It wasn't the only one Dean had gotten either. Right above his hip, he got a lotus flower since it was my favorite and my initials on his ribs. He said that it was my mark on him. In return, I got his initials on my wrist and a small shotgun above my hip.

"Smart." Henriksen nodded. "How long you had those?"

"Not long enough." Sam stated.

"Yeah, Sam and I were both possessed at one point." I shrugged. "Fun times, right, Sammy?"

___

By now it seemed most of the town had been possessed and were standing outside of the police station. I was currently standing atop a desk, holding my phone in the air and trying to get a signal. 

Dean was in the office just by me, loading rocksalt bullets into shotguns with Henriksen. "If it makes you feel better, Bigfoot's a hoax." I faintly heard him say.

"Says you." I called out.

"You were seven, it wasn't Bigfoot, let it go."

"It was Bigfoot." I insisted. I heard faint voices as he and Henriksen continued talking, but didn't bother listening as I jumped down from the desk and moved to the next. 

Still no damn signal. 

"What's out there? What's going on? Can you guys beat it?" I hear Henriksen ask as I jumped down and moved toward the door. 

"Honestly, I think the world's gonna end bloody." Dean replied. "But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices. I choose to go down swinging." 

"Plus, you got nothing to go home to but Saige and your brother." Henriksen pointed out. 

Dean scoffed. "I got a little girl now, actually. Still can't believe it. I love her to death." He paused, making me smile. I worried about Dean and I bonding with Evie since we weren't her real parents, but...we had. It made my heart warm. "What about you, you rocking the white picket fence?"

"Uh-uh. No. Empty apartment, string of angry ex-wives. I'm right where I thought you were." Henriksen replied.

"Imagine that." Dean said. "To be honest...I never seen myself here, but here I am. It's worth it. Makes getting through the day easier. Si and Evie do. Speaking of the hitchhiker, you gonna stop eavesdropping or what?"