Chapter 41

Long Distance Call

"I mean, Dad?" Sam asked as he sat on the foot of the bed. "You really think it was Dad?"

Dean paced the floor, holding Evie to his chest as she slept. "I don't know. Maybe."

"Well, what did he sound like?" Sam asked. 

I sat, legs crossed, in the middle of our bed. "That wasn't a very smart question."

"Like Oprah. It was Dad, he sounded like Dad, what do you think?" Dean said, turning to face Sam. 

"What did he say?" Sam asked.

"My name."

"That's it?"

"Yeah, the call dropped out." 

Sam was quiet for a moment. "Why would he even call in the first place, Dean?"

"I don't know, man. Why are the ghost calling anybody in this town?" Dean asked. "But other people are hearing from their loved ones. Why can't we? It's at least a possibility, right?"

"Yeah, I guess." Sam shrugged.

"Okay, so what if...?" Dean sat down on the edge of our bed. "What if it really is Dad? What happens if he calls back?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do I say?"

"Hello..." Sam suggested.

"You're horrible at this, Sam." I said.

"Hello?" Dean repeated. "That's what you come back with? Hello?" He stood, turning to gently lay Evie down on the bed. He moved toward the door, grabbing his jacket. "Hello?"

I sighed as he walked out of the door. 

___

I leaned over the bed, grabbing my phone that was on the nightstand. "Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, Pumpkin." 

My heart dropped to my stomach when I heard my dad's voice. "Dad?" I whispered.

"Hey, Saige."

Tears stung my eyes. I didn't know what to say, what to do. 

But it didn't matter, the call cut out then, static crackling before went silent. 

"Saige?" Sam asked from the couch across the room where he had his computer and papers scattered on the coffee table. 

"It was...It was nothing." 

___

Dean walked back in the room, making his way toward me. He leaned down, kissing me. "Everything okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's all good." I told him, smiling as Evie moved toward the edge of the bed where he stood. 

Dean lifted her into his arms, tossing her in the air and catching her, making her giggle uncontrollably. "Find anything?" He asked, moving toward Sam. 

"After three hours, I have found no reason why anything supernatural would be going on here." Sam stated. 

"Wow, you know, you'd think that a Stanford education and a high school hookup rate of 0.0 would produce better results than that." Dean said. 

Sam smiled. "Hilarious."

"Sammy, you're just looking in the wrong places, pal." Dean stated. 

"And what are the right places, Dean?"

Dean pulled a pamphlet from his jacket. "The motel pamphlet rack." He dropped it on the table. 

"What exactly are bars and strip clubs going to do for us?" I asked, moving past him and toward the counter where the coffee pot was.