Chapter 42

Long Distance Call

"Dean, I'm not sure this is a good idea." I said as he unlocked the trunk of the car. We had just arrived at a house where John had told Dean to go. Evie was sleeping in the backseat of the car.

"What happened to it didn't matter?" He grabbed a duffle bag and slung it over his shoulder.

"Yeah, but safety trumps right and wrong, Dean." I stated. 

"I have to do this. We have to do this."

"I know."

So we made our way inside the house. We made jugs of holy water and spray painted devils traps under rugs. 

Then we waited. Dean and I sat on the floor as Evie slept peacefully in her carrier just a few feet away. 

We sat facing each other, legs crossed as we played thumb wars. 

"Dean-O?" I asked as the sun began to set and he won another round of thumb wars. 

"Yeah, Si?" He met my eyes, taking his hand from mine and grabbing my knees to pull me forward toward him. 

I smiled. "You listened to me." I said, leaning closer and setting my hands on his shoulders. 

"What do you mean?" Dean asked.

I traced my finger over his jaw, two-day old stubble beneath my fingertip. "You haven't shaved in two days."

"I forgot." Dean shrugged, grabbing my wrist and tracing the letters there. 

"Don't lie." I teased. "You took my wonderful advice. Because you like me a lot." I poked his side.

"Just for this, I'm shaving as soon as we get back to the motel." 

"No, don't do that." I leaned in, kissing him. "I like it."

___

The sun had set hours ago and Evie had went back to sleep. We had decided to put her in the car for when the demon showed up. Now, as headlights, approached and shone through the window, we stood in the doorway to the living room which was right by the hall to the front door.

On the other end of the hall through an office was a back door. We waited and waited, but nobody came through the door.

Suddenly, the back door swung open and a gunshot went off.  Dean's hand latched onto my wrist, pulling me out of the way as he jumped back. The jug of holy water flew out of his hand, landed on the stairs and spilling half. 

Pain erupted in my shoulder. Hot, sticky blood began soaking my shirt. 

I pressed myself against the wall, gripping my shoulder as the man reloaded bullets into his gun. Dean took the distraction and dove at the guy. 

The stumbled into the next room. I heard crashing and grunting.

Glass shattered as I stumbled into the living room where the man was lying on the rug where the devils trap was. Dean grabbed the handgun from the man's belt as he loomed over him. He deposited the clip, letting it fall to the floor before flinging the gun across the room. 

Dean flipped the end of the carpet up to reveal the devils trap.

"What is this?" The man asked, pulling himself to his knees.

"Your funeral." Dean answered, pulling the paper out of his pocket. He began to read the Latin spell. 

"You did this to my daughter too?" The man asked, stepping over the trap. 

"How the hell did you get out?" Dean asked.

"You do this to my daughter too?" The man repeated. 

"Wait, this is a mistake." Dean said.

"You killed her." The man hissed, blood dripping from his lip. 

"No. Wait."

"You killed her, you son of a bitch." The man dove at Dean, knocking him to the kitchen floor. "She was 9 years old!"

"Stop. I didn't." Dean bit out as he rolled out of the way of another punch. "You gotta believe me."

"Dean." I said, sliding a shotgun across the floor to him.

He grabbed it, turning and hitting the man with the butt of the gun. He stood up.

"Why did you kill her?" The man sobbed. 

"I'm sorry." Dean breathed, sweat and blood dripping from his skin. "I didn't kill your daughter."

"Then what are you doing here?"

"I don't know." 

___

I sat atop the counter by the sink, pressing a cold rag to the cut at Deans eyebrow where a nasty red mark was forming. He had stitched up the gunshot wound in my shoulder for me. He stood between my legs, hands on either side of me. 

Sam and Millie walked in. Sam had a red mark on his jaw and a cut on his lip whereas Millie had one around her eye. 

"I see they improved your face." Dean told his brother, looking at him through the mirror behind me. 

Sam scoffed. "Yeah, right back at you."

Dean shrugged, stepping back and out of the bathroom. "So crocotta, huh?"

I followed.

"Yep." Sam sighed. Turns out, it was Clark calling people and eating their souls under the impression of a loved one. 

"That would explain the flies." Dean said, taking a seat on the end of our bed. I joined him, glancing over at Evie as she babbled to herself. 

"Definitely." I nodded.

"Hey, look. I'm sorry it wasn't dad." Sam told him. 

"No, I gave you a hell of a time on this one." Dean said as I took his hand in mine.

"Nah."

"No, you were right."

"Forget abbout it." Sam told him.

"No, rub it in some, Sammy." Millie spoke up. 

"I can't." Dean said. "I wanted to believe so badly that there was a way out of this. I mean, I'm staring down the barrel at this thing. You know, hell. For real, forever. And I'm just..."

"I know." I whispered, gripping his hand so tight it was almost painful.

"I'm scared." Dean admitted, tears in his eyes. "I'm really scared."

"I know." Sam murmured. 

"I guess I was willing to believe anything. You know, last act of a desperate man." Dean let out a small humorless chuckle. 

"There's nothing wrong with having hope." Sam told him, tears brimming his eyes.

"No. Hope doesn't get you jack squat." Dean stated. "I can't expect dad to show up with some miracle at the last minute. I can't expect anybody too, you know? And the only person that can get me out of this thing is me."

"And me." Sam said.

I pressed my lips to Dean's shoulder. "I'm gonna get you out of this."

Dean looked over at his brother. "'And me'?"

"What?" Sam asked. 

"Deep revelation, having a real moment here, that's what you come back with?" Dean asked. "'And me'?"

"Do you want a poem?"

"Moment's gone." Dean clicked on the TV. "Unbelievable." He muttered, grabbing a beer, handing one to Sam. 

A/N: Hello, everyone! We have approximately six chapters left in this book and I have no clue what we should title the next one, so drop a suggestion. Please and thank you. I cannot believe we're almost done with this book. 

Thank you all for being here!