Chapter 59

Maddie's POV:

 "Dad was in the kitchen cooking us dinner and I was choosing a film for us to watch. At the time I had this little stuffed teddy bear, the one you got me actually,  and I had left him upstairs whilst I played outside. I couldn't remember where I had put it so I checked every room. 

I went to dad's office and I started to look for it but I couldn't find it. I heard noises coming from the window and a man climbed into the room. I didn't know who he was, so I screamed at the top of my lungs. I don't remember what happened after that. I woke up in the hospital a few days later." I say struggling to breathe. I might as well just get it over and done with.

 "I was shot twice in the chest. It took a while for my body to get back to normal and better so I had to do a lot of physical therapy. We moved in with Abuela whilst I was getting better so someone would always be there to keep an eye on me. I couldn't be in a room by myself, not because they wouldn't let me but because I was scared. I eventually got better and everything went back to normal." I finish not really making sense.

I look up at mum from my hands and see tears falling down her cheeks. 

 "It's in the past, it was a long time ago and I'm okay." I tell her trying to comfort her.

 "Is that why your not sleeping. Your having nightmares of what happened?" She asks in a hushed tone.

 I nod my head.

 "After the incident, I couldn't sleep. Every time I tried, I would wake up again. I kept on seeing his face and hearing the gunshot. I couldn't sleep without someone in the room with me. Dad made me see a doctor and they prescribed me with the sleeping pills I use. They're not very good but they sometimes work."

 Mum didn't say anything but tears were streaming down her face.

 "Which is one of the reasons I can't hate dad for what he did, because he stayed by my side through every minute. He went through something just as horrible and he could of ran but he didn't. The funny thing is I didn't want him near me. I wouldn't let him touch me and I couldn't be in the same room as him alone. Every time I looked at him I saw the same guy that shot me. But I realised he wasn't the same guy and eventually we went back to normal." I finish knowing that I can't say any more without bawling my eyes out.

 Mum doesn't say anything but pulls me into a hug and kisses my head a few times.

 "Mum, I'm okay now. I think I just couldn't sleep because I was holding off telling you, but now I've told you, I should be fine."

Telling her that doesn't help as she continues to cry even more. I don't really know what to do or say. I'm not good in these situations.

 " I know that you okay now but it just kills me that I wasn't there and I didn't know. I'm so sorry baby, I'm so sorry that I wasn't there. " she mumbles into my hair.

 "You didn't have a choice mama. Its not your fault" she continues to cry and I feel a few tears falling from my eyes myself.

I stay in mum's arms for a few more minutes before she stands up.

 "I'll be back in 20 minutes or so okay?" She tells me.

 "Why? Where you going?" I ask. She literally left and hour ago or so?

 "I just realised I forgot something from the shop that we need" she answers before hurrying out.

Scarlett's POV:

That fucking dickhead. I am so going to kill him.

I got in the car and quickly drove to his house, probably breaking a few speed regulations on the way here but at this moment in time I couldn't give a fuck.

I let myself in and slammed the door open. Ha, idiot for leaving it unlocked.

I walk into the kitchen and he stands up from the chair.

 "Scarlett. What the fuck" he asks shocked.

 "My kid was shot and you didn't tell me" his face drops and he takes a deep breathe before answering me.

 "She told you?"

 "My kid was shot and you didn't tell me. She nearly died. Matthew she nearly died" he shakes his head.

 "I know Scarlett, I know" 

 "You didn't tell me Matthew. I could have been there, I could have helped. You didn't even call me. She nearly died" I say as tears fall from my eyes .

 "I didn't know how to Scarlett" 

 "Bullshit! You could have just called. My kid was shot and she needed me and you were to selfish to call." I tell losing my patience.

 "OUR kid Scarlett. Our kid. And don't you think I don't know that she was shot? Huh? don't you think that I wasn't just as terrified as you. I was terrified Scarlett. I was holding our little girl in my arms, her small, bloody body. I was there when she wouldn't go near me. When she would have a panic attack if I ever touched her because she was scared because she thought I was that horrible, monster that shot her. I was there through ever sleepless night, standing by her door wondering whether she was ever going to want me near her, or whether I was going to lose her forever. So yes, maybe I should have called you but I was a little preoccupied" He tells me with tears streaming down his face.

I stand there staring at him not knowing what to say. He is right I guess. But I just wish he had called. I could have been there. I could have helped.

 "Why did you do it?" I ask him softly.

 "do what?"

 "The custody battle. what happened in court, why did you lie?" I ask him.

 "I was scared. You had just got a job offer in America and I was scared that you were going to take Maddie with you. I couldn't lose her but what I've realised is that I just made things worse. I'm sorry" 

 "I'm sorry for taking you away from you're little girl" he finishes.

 "She's so strong" I whisper.

 "She's like her mum." He replied smilling at me.

 "I better get back to her." 

 " she off school" 

I nod my head.

 "she needed a little break" he nods and pulls me into a hug.

 "I'm so sorry for what happened" I nod and give him a small smile.

 "I know. I'm going to try and forgive you but it'll take time"

 "I know" I give him a small smile again and then leave.

 I sit in the car and let out the sob I was holding back. My poor baby girl. I'm never going to let her get hurt again, if I can help it. I'll use my black widow skills on them if they do.

______________________________________________

I'M NOT THE BEST AT WRITING LONG DIALOGUES SO LET ME KNOW HOW IT WAS.

STAY SAFE BABES LOVE YA 😘