Illumi: This is why I don't socialize

I'm only doing this because she's not expendable.

Those words repeated as a mantra in my head as I approach the Yakuza Estate. Father informed me that she'd come home after taking the exam to satisfy some few family affairs; it wouldn't be much of a bother if I stopped by for a chat, would it?

Peculiar as her reaction to my manipulating Killu may be, it's unhealthy for a Zoldyck to endulge in conflict with a member of one of the most notorious assassin families after technically working with them, much less the heir. This mistake of mine might endanger my family in the near future, thus I must rectify the situation before it worsens.

Dismissing the small yet truly annoying voice in the back of my mind objecting to these words, I walk past the corpse of their butler. A thoughtful apology comes to my head; I could just provide them with a better, smarter butler after this.

Inside the mansion, I take a few moments to form a cohesive impression of the interior. It was similar to home in many ways, although the colors and designs that the walls were adorned with are far more lively than the ones I'm accustomed to. The floor wasn't made of stone, but tiles, which would explain Yakuza's inability to understand the norms of being an assassin; that spoiled brat.

"You should've told us you were coming." a voice came from behind me, and I reflexively produced pins and changed my stance accordingly. I realized this unecessary action when I saw that it was just Hiro, head of the Yakuza family. Though I didn't trust the lack of hostile Nen coming from him, I hid my pins.

"Sorry, Hiro-san. Short notice and all."

Hiro-san is similar to dad in multiple ways. From his physical appearance to the way he carries himself generally, the two men possessed similarities that it became uncanny; perhaps influenced by their alliance, which I'm told has been strong even before I was born. The most distinct difference between them perhaps, is that Hiro-san has brown eyes, his ombre hair, and amiable bearing. 

He extended a hand, stepping aside as if we were in a narrow area, "Welcome to the Yakuza Estate."

I walk, and he matches my pace. A brief moment of silence came over us, before his gentle voice broke it, "Illumi, what happened in the Hunter Exam?"

"The entirety of it, Hiro-san, was spent with your daughter and myself discovering where we lack and where we excel. Unfortunately, she might've perceived her newfound knowledge more differently than me and became destructive." I shouldn't be continuing. "As a matter of fact, that is why I'm here."

"To clarify what happened?" Hiro-san inquired, a crease forming between his eyebrows and a confused expression on his face.

I didn't nod but I didn't shake my head either, "We have our differences, that much I am aware. For this reason, I want to prevent wedges between myself and a potential ally, if your daughter would consider me as one like I do her."

Hiro-san appeared truly intrigued, and once again, we grew silent.

"How did Akira bode with you and your companion?"

Pushing down the more amusing answer I've thought about, I remain passive in my response, "She quickly adapted to working closely with my companion, and in turn we were able to resemble somewhat of a team."

He nods in understanding, "Have you ever heard of Sirens and Certains before, young man?"

Claiming my full attention, I give Hiro-san a side glance, "No."

"Would you like to know?"

"Yes."

And so he caves, "Countless individuals around the world are able to harness their power for their own welfare, and within those group of people are practitioners who can determine an 'extra' source of power, if you will. This is natural in them upon birth, and their bind with their respective power sources shall only be severed with death. With this additive, some rules of Nen are violated, without actually being violated. The Yakuza family is one of these individuals. Most of us becomes Specialists, but because of the bond, none of us stay in one category."

He must be aware that he's practically exploiting himself to a member of the strongest assassin family... right?

"These power sources are known as Certains. Akira met her first one, but their relationship wasn't long-lived as I'd wished. Since then, my daughter has become withdrawn and focused on working..." He met my eyes, "Illumi, getting a reaction from Akira is not an easy feat. Yet you were able to get under her skin and make her fume all the way home."

For some reason, I lost the feeling of my limbs. My Nen reflexively cloaked my outward reactions as I choose my words carefully, realizing that I was treading on dangerous waters, "It was not my intention. I was following orders given to me by my father and it includes ensuring that your daughter would learn something over the course of the exam. In my defense, she got under my skin as well." I reluctantly add.

Hiro-san hums, but I notice the side of his lips pull up a tad. I've only realized we stopped walking when he moved past me, setting a hand on my shoulder, "I would appreciate it if you continue your aquaintance with her. You might be the only way we have in keeping our heiress with us."

"Yes, Hiro-san." I heard myself respond. Promptly afterwards, he left.

It didn't take long for me to feel something out of place in the environment. I let my next steps be directed by this heavy air, vaguely blaming my curiosity for anything that would happen. I've already stepped one time out of line today by going here without knowing anything about the estate (hence why I killed their butler), and now I'm acting like Yakuza. Did I miss the apocalypse or something?

Eventually, I see the door where this power is emanating through. Suppressing the presence of my own Nen, I approached, only then realizing that the door was left ajar. What I saw through the opening, however, stunned me where I stood.

A beat up, helpless-looking Akira was being raised by the neck. Her hands were limp and flinching, and  small streams of her own blood dripped down from her fingers. She could barely open her eyes, one of which is swollen and the other seemingly on the way.

Holding onto my resolve with an iron fist, I stepped back and mustered up all hostility I could. Upon expelling it, the fat man holding up Yakuza by the neck stumbled off and let go of her. I sped to the woman, catching her in my arms before she fell. The absence of her usual vigor was pitiful.

"I'm pleased to meet you." I say, looking deep into his eyes, "My name is Illumi Zoldyck."

~

Please keep supporting this story by votes and comments. Thanks!