00. prologue

❝There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: twins.❞

-josh billings

✧✧✧

Twins.

One hundred years ago, that word brought excitement, joy, maybe nerves. But it was a blessing for many- two babies instead of one. Children grew up forever grateful that they had that one person they could always rely on. 

For Avery Collins, being a twin meant she was hidden her whole life. No chance to experience life the way most did. 

 Her twin brother, Finn ,got that chance. Being a female deemed Avery less valuable, and therefore doomed her to a hidden life. For fifteen years, Avery stayed hidden while her brother lived his life.

Their parents got away with their dirty secret until their death. Both of them were floated for 'crimes' they committed which left the teenage twins alone to fend for themselves.  Without their parents around, Avery eventually got caught and arrested when she was barely fifteen. 

The next three years of her life were to be spent in the Skybox, awaiting the day she turned eighteen in which she would finally meet death-punishment for the crime of being born. 

But before that day could come- something else happened...the 100 were sent to the ground.