44. new beginning

My eyes sprung open and I had to immediately clamp them shut due to the bright white lights that were pounding down on me. After a moment of adjustment I reopened them slowly, the full scene of where I was coming into view.

I was in a room, not just any room, but the brightest, most pristine room I had ever seen. Even on the Ark our cleanest rooms in the hospital wing were still a dull gray colour.

I sat up, wincing as something dug into my arm. I looked down to see an IV needle sticking out. I frowned as I reached down to pull it from my arm, a small whimpered of pain escaping from my lips as I did so.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed, looking down at my outfit. I was dressed in pair of white pants and a white tank top. Who the hell dressed me?

"Where am I?" I whispered, taking another look around the room. It was definitely some sort of hospital room, but who's?

I dangled my feet down off the bed, letting them hit the ground. A surge of shivers went through my body when my bare-feet touched the cold tiles.

I stood, taking a moment to allow my head to stop spinning before I grabbed one of the pillows off my bed. I knew it couldn't do much in terms of defence but it could stun them long enough for me to run, right?

With the pillow clutched tightly in my hand, I walked towards the door across the room, staying on high alert the entire time. When I finally reached the door, I paused for a moment before taking a hold of the handle. I slowly turned it, only to find it locked.

"Of course." I muttered as I pushed a piece of stray hair from my face. My heart was pounding through my chest at this point. The silence that was filling the room almost scared me the most, where was everyone?

I stepped up onto my tippy toes, glancing through the small circular window. Outside of my room was a hallway that was as white and pristine as inside, it was also as empty.

I pressed my face closer to the glass, only jumping back when a commotion from down the hall broke out. I tried to see what was going on but whatever was happening was out of my line of sight.

A small gasp escaped my lips as a body appeared in front of my door.I jumped back from the door as I held the pillow in front of my body.

The sound of a code being punched in filled my ears before the door swung open. My breathing was heavy as a figure in a hazmat suit, only a small portion of their face was visible, entered the room.

"Avery-"

"How do you know my name!" I demanded, taking another step back.

"You've been cleared from quarantine. Come with me and I'll explain everything."

I stared at the person, not willing to trust them too easily. "Where are my friends?" I asked, planning on not budging until I knew they were okay.

The figure let out a sigh, "They've already been cleared, they're in the living quarters which is where I'm taking you now."

I reluctantly dropped the pillow and took a step forward. I knew it was either spend the rest of my life in this room or take a leap of faith and trust this person.

"If you did anything to my friends I swear to-"

The person cut me off, "Your friend are fine, Avery. Monty and Jasper have been asking for you."

My jaw almost dropped to the floor at the mention of Monty's name. He'd been missing since before our war with the Grounders and now it was obvious that this is where he had been.

"Come on," the person said, guiding me through the door, "Let's go see them."

He, I was assuming it was a he by the voice and the small part of their face I could see, lead me down the hallway which was lined with doors that lead to rooms similar to mine. At the end of the hall he punched in another code, opening the door that lead out of the quarantine unit.