63. no apologies needed

My eyes were trained on Lincoln and Octavia as I aimlessly played with the zipper on my jacket. After Clarke revealed to us her plan to stop the war by offering the Grounders help with the Reapers, in terms of bringing them back to life, her and Finn had gone back to camp to speak with Abby about it.

I had opted to stay, and so, Nyko, Octavia, Lincoln, Bellamy and I were left in the Drop Ship. Night was approaching, meaning the exhaustion was setting in for everyone. Octavia was still seated next to Lincoln who had been passed out pretty much since Clarke left. Nyko sat on the far end of the room, staring at me.

Silence was the only thing that had filled the room until Nyko spoke. "Is he your brother?"  he questioned, his words directed at me, "The murderer?" he added.

I felt a pang in my heart at those words. I knew what Finn did, and I knew it was horrible. But deep down I knew he was still my brother, the same boy who wouldn't hurt a fly.

I was in the process of replying when another voice cut into the air.

"Don't speak to her." Bellamy snapped coldly, as he readjusted the gun in his hands. I turned to him with a glare. I understood he wanted to look out for me, but he didn't need to, he had no obligation to do so.

"Bellamy?" I asked, standing up and turning to face him, "Can I please speak to you downstairs?"

Bellamy looked from me to Octavia, to Nyko and then back to me. Octavia noticed he hesitation and waved him on, "Bell, Im fine. Just go."

He gave one last stern look in Nyko's direction before standing up and hesitantly following me down the ladder to the lower level. Once we reached the ground, I began walking away from the entrance to the upstairs, not wanting everyone to hear our conversation.

My back was still turned to Bellamy as I began speaking, "You have to stop." I announced with a sigh of frustration.

He was silent for a moment before replying, "Stop what?"

I spun around to face him. He was staring at me expectantly, his face filled with slight confusion.

"I can take care of myself." I began, as I started to pace back and forth, "I don't always need you to try and protect me."

Bellamy groaned, "Avery come on."

I continued pacing, "I already have Finn breathing down my neck every minute of the day, I don't need someone else doing it too. I know you're trying to look out for me or whatever, but just stop okay? You don't need to worry about me all the time."

"Avery-"

I finally stopped pacing as I stared back at Bellamy, "I get that I'm your sister's best friend, and you don't want anything to happen to me, but stop stressing yourself out over me, there are better things you could-"

I didn't have time to finish my sentence because before I knew it, Bellamy was grabbing me and pushing his lips against mine.

This kiss was better than the last. Warmth flooded my body once again as he pulled me close to him. One of his hands rested on my lower back as his other rested on the side of my face, his thumb rubbing my cheek softly as his lips moved against mine. I felt shivers run up my spine as he held me close.

When he pulled back, I looked at him with wide eyes, "What-"

His face hovered close to mine, so close I could feel his warm breath, "Maybe there's a reason I'm so protective of you." he whispered, his voice low and deep.

I found it hard to breathe as I stared into his eyes. He stared back at me, waiting for me to say something, but I didn't have the chance.

"Avery, Bell! Get up here!" Octavia yelled in a panic from up above.

I pulled back from Bellamy quicker than he had expected. He gave me a look I couldn't quite decipher as I took another step back. I didn't say a word to him as I turned towards the ladder, "Coming!" I yelled to Octavia, my voice cracking.

I could hear Bellamy let out a sigh as he followed me up the ladder. It wasn't that I was ashamed of how I felt about Bellamy. It was the fact that Octavia had a lot going on right now, and I didn't need to put this on her plate too.

"What's going on?" I asked as Bellamy and I re-entered the upper level.

Octavia was seated beside Lincoln who was convulsing once again. "He's seizing again." she explained, her face covered in a pained expression, "When will Clarke be back?"

I shook my head as I took a seat beside her, "I'm not sure. Who knows how long it will take for her to sort things out."

Octavia's face fell at my words and I quickly tried to recover, "She'll come check on Lincoln though no matter what. It'll be okay, Tavia."

She accepted my words with a nod as she looked back down at Lincoln, wiping a wet cloth across his forehead which was drenched in sweat, "What do we do until she gets back."

My eyes hovered down to his leg, "We should change his bandages, he's bled through these ones. Besides that all we can do is make sure he is hydrated and wait it out." I explained, moving down to his leg, "Pass me that bag please." I muttered to Bellamy, briefly looking up at him before concentrating on removing the bloody bandages from Lincoln's leg.

Bellamy remained silent as he placed the bag in front of me. I dug through it, finding the last bandages left in the med kit Clarke had brought with us. Silence filled the air once again as I got to work changing dressing on Lincoln's wound.

My hands were already beginning to shake from the exhaustion setting in, so I tried to get the job done as quickly as possible. Blood was still leaking from the wound as I secured the material around his leg. Lincoln had stayed asleep the entire time which made the process much easier.

When I was done, I let out a small sigh, "Now we wait."

---

After I had finished changing Lincoln's bandages, and had managed to clean the blood off of my hands. I reassumed my seat beside Bellamy. Octavia had fallen asleep beside Lincoln, meanwhile Nyko still remained silent in the corner.

"I'm sorry." Bellamy mumbled, his voice hoarse.

I was almost asleep beside him, but at the sound of his voice my eyes reopened, "Sorry for what?" I questioned, turning to him in confusion.

Bellamy cleared his throat as he turned his head slightly to look at me, "Sorry for kissing you before."

I stared silently at him for a moment before speaking again, "You don't have to be sorry, Bellamy."

"You clearly didn't want it to happen. When you heard Octavia you freaked out." he had now turned his head and was staring down at his hands.

I sighed as I reached out and grabbed one of his large hands in my own, "I just didn't want her to have to deal with something else. She's hurting right now, and I want to be able to rely on us-separately. And besides," I started, "If I remember correctly, I'm actually the one who kissed you first, before you guys left the other day. Ring a bell?"

Bellamy cracked a smile as he squeezed my hand softly, "Oh, so you're finally going to mention it?"

I laughed quietly as I leaned into the side of him, laying my head on my chest. "I was just bitter I had to make the first move." I joked. I wasn't able to see his facial expression but I imagined he was rolling his eyes.

"Just go to sleep, Avery." he muttered softly, brining his arm up and wrapping it around my shoulders.

And so, I did.

-an-

and they have kissed again (yay!). looks like bellamy and avery's relationship is starting to take off!!

ps. what should their ship name be? comment below

comment your thoughts on this chapter or just this book in general!

love you all.

-maddy xoxo