28. quarantine

It had been decided that our best option at containing the virus was to round up everyone that had made contact with Murphy and quarantine them. We all knew that that was only part of the problem as we also had to deal with those that had then come into contact with them, but as Clarke put it, we had to start somewhere.

Finn and I made our way through camp, searching for anyone who had made contact with Murphy. We made sure not to touch anyone and convey a clear message that this virus spread through contact. Within an hour we had most of the camp rounded up into the drop ship. Clarke examined everyone, organizing them to the levels of the ship based on the severity of their symptoms.

As we made our way back to the drop ship with the last group of infected, I paused. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Octavia making her way towards the outer gates. It turned out Octavia had been the first person to touch Murphy, but by the sound of it she wasn't showing any symptoms, but that still did not mean she should be leaving camp.

"I'll catch up with you in a bit." I muttered to Finn who merely nodded in response. I looked around ensuring nobody, especially Bellamy, was watching as I followed after Octavia.

"Octavia!" I whispered, causing the dark haired girl to spin around and look at me in surprise. "What are you doing?" I questioned.

Octavia pursed her lips as she looked around, "Clarke told me to sneak out." she answered, nodding her head towards the drop ship where Clarke was.

I scrunched up my face, "Why would she tell you to do that? You could be infected."

My best friend sighed, "She needs Lincoln's help with trying to cure this thing, he might know how."

"I'm coming with you then." I announced, taking a step towards her.

Octavia shook her head, "Avery no. You're still weak and besides, I need someone to keep Bellamy distracted while I'm gone."

I scoffed, "What makes you think I can keep him distracted?"

She smirked as she turned to the wall, "Something tells me you can."

I felt my shoulders slump in defeat as I watched her duck out of camp through a secret exit she had found. I was seconds away from following after her when someone called my name.

I spun around to see Bellamy looking at me skeptically, "What are you doing?" he asked as he began walking towards me.

I looked over my shoulder once more to ensure there was no sign that Octavia had left before I made my way to him, meeting him before he could get any closer to the wall. "Just checking to make sure everything is secure." I lied, forcing a tight smile onto my lips.

Bellamy gave me an expectant look, "And?"

I stared at him for a moment, already forgetting what lie I had just told him, "And what?"

Bellamy squinted his eyes slightly, clearly becoming less and less convinced I was telling the truth, "Is everything secure?"

I let out a fake laugh, "Oh yeah, right. Everything is as secure as the Skybox." I immediately cringed at my horrible comparison between our camp and the area most of us had been locked up in on the Ark.

Bellamy gave me a skeptical look before nodding, "Well then, let's go see if there's anything else we can do for Clarke."

I gave him a quick smile as we made our way back into the main part of camp, the entire time I was inwardly cursing my horrible lying skills.

Just as we were nearing the drop ship another body was carried out. I felt my heart drop slightly as I laid eyes on the girl. Everyone else was milling around, starring at the newest victim of the virus.