27. disease

Sunlight leaked into my tent as I let out a groan. After I had spoken to Bellamy I had been exiled back to my tent and told to rest. I didn't disagree with them that I needed to sleep but I would much rather be contributing to our efforts to defend against the impending Grounder war.

I played with the ends of my hair, unable to sleep. I had fallen asleep for a few hours but now I was wide awake. A few minutes after I had woken up in the first place I had tried to leave my tent but my brother was there waiting to make sure that didn't happen.

"Can I please come out?" I called, sitting up and craning my neck to look for my brother who was supposed to be stationed outside my tent.

When I received no answer I assumed that Finn had left his post, so I took that as an opportunity to leave the confinement of the tent. As I walked out into the daylight, I took a moment to allow my eyes to adjust. Once they adjusted I was met with the scene of dozens of kids double over in pain as they broke out into fits of coughing. Each one had blood oozing from their nose, eyes, ears and mouths.

I stumbled back in surprise as I looked around. I had been awake for hours and was given no indication that any of this was going on meaning whatever happened, happened quickly.

"Avery, come on." Bellamy said, coming from within camp to grab my arm and pull me along with him towards the drop ship.

"What's going on, what's wrong with everyone?" I asked in shock, my eyes still locked on the ill.

"I don't know, but we're going to find out."

As we entered the drop ship my eyes landed on Clarke who was crouched in front of Murphy. Her face was stained with faint blood. Murphy looked worse than when I had last seen him, blood dripped from his mouth as he struggled for air.

"Bellamy, Avery, stay back." Clarke warned, lifting her hand to tell us to not come any closer.

"Did he do something to you?" Bellamy questioned.

Clarke shook her head weakly, "No."

Bellamy took a step forward, his eyes locked on Clarke, "What the hell is this?"

Clarke looked at Murphy who was still doubled over in pain, "Biological warfare."

she answered, "You were waiting for the Grounders to retaliate for the bridge...Murphy is their weapon."

I took a step backwards as did Bellamy, the two of us obviously afraid of getting whatever disease it was that was ripping through camp. We had no idea what it did or how it spread but so as far as I could tell it hadn't taken any lives...yet.

---

"Is this your revenge? Helping the Grounders kill us?" Bellamy asked Murphy while pacing back and forth across the drop ship. I sat perched on the ladder, watching as Clarke cleaned Murphy's wounds.

Murphy shook his head, "I didn't know about this, I swear." his voice sounded so weak it sent a tinge of remorse through my body, very well knowing what he had gone through.

"Stop lying!" Bellamy's voice boomed throughout the drop ship, causing me to jump in surprise, "When are they coming?" he pushed.

"Murphy, think. What can you tell us that's useful?" Clarke asked, her tone much softer than Bellamy's. "Did you hear anything?"

Murphy shook his head once again, "They are vicious, cruel-"

"Do you want to see vicious and cruel?" Bellamy threatened, taking a step towards Murphy.

I sprung up from where I was sitting, stepping in front of Bellamy and placing my hand on his chest, "Bellamy, stop." I warned.

Murphy let out a small laugh, "Ask Avery what they did, how horrific they were. She knows what they did to me, they did it to her too. I could hear her screams from my cage, for days I heard her plead for them to stop, she begged them to let her go"

I felt tears well up in my eyes as Murphy spoke, the memories I had tried to block from my mind came flowing back in.

"She heard my screams too as they beat me, cut me, burn me, they did it to you too right Avery? And then you promised you would come back but instead you left me there to die. Remember that Avery? When they were taking you away you-"

Bellamy's jaw was clenched as he cut Murphy off, stepping around me so he was closer to the bloodied boy, "That's enough!" his voice was louder than it had been before, "You don't speak to her, you don't look at her, hell you don't even think about her again, do you hear me? If I catch you anywhere near her, I'll kill you Murphy I swear to-"

I felt myself shrink away from the scene as guilt and pain overwhelmed me. Murphy was right, I had left him there.

"Clarke, Avery!" Finn's voice interrupted the moment as he came rushing into the drop ship.

Clarke's eyes grew wide, "Finn you shouldn't be in here!" she warned, "No one should."

"I heard you were sick." he said to Clarke as he approached me, ensuring I was okay.

"I'm fine." I whispered, which caused him to nod before turning back to Clarke.

He looked around the room at the sick members of our group, "Clarke, what is this?"

Clarke sighed, "I don't know, some kind of hemorrhagic fever. We just need to contain it before-" she was cut off as Derek- one of the boys who had brought Murphy in- began coughing violently, his body convulsing.

My eyes grew wide as I began making my way towards him to help, "No!" Clarke yelled, causing me to freeze, "It spreads through contact, you can't touch him." she explained as she stood, beginning to make her own way towards him.

Finn, who has always been a bad listener, stuck his hand out to steady Clarke who pulled away from him, "Don't touch me, you could get sick" she repeated, "Wash your hands, now!"

Bellamy reached out and lightly grabbed my arm, pulling me away from Derek and Clarke. He pulled me closer to him as we both watched Derek fight to breathe.

"What the hell is happening to him?" Finn asked as he searched for something to wash his hands with.

"I don't know." Clarke answered honestly as blood flooded out of Derek's mouth.

We all watched in horror as Derek stopped moving, the noises he had been making ceased as well.

Clarke looked at us before reaching a shaky hand towards him. She placed her fingers on his neck.

I stood almost behind Bellamy, afraid of what was going to happen next. "Is he-"

"He's dead."

hey guys, I'm back! I finished exams a few weeks ago and have just been getting used to being back home and such! I hope you guys liked this chapter, also let me know how you guys are liking season 5, it sure it crazy

if you liked this please, please, please vote and comment, I really wanna know how you guys are liking this book/what you want to see

love you guys!

-maddy xoxo