23. captive

My eyes sprung open as my body made contact with the hard ground. I looked around with wide eyes, trying to register where I was. Panic settled through my body as two large hands roughly grabbed my arms, instantly locking a chain around them.

I tried to find my breath as I looked up at the person who had brought me here. My heart dropped when I laid eyes on the large man dressed in furs, his face covered in dark paint. He looked similar to the man who had taken Octavia.

Hot tears filled my eyes as realization dawned on me. I had been captured by the Grounders. It felt like a nightmare, like someone was playing a joke on me. Bellamy had told me it wasn't safe out here but I kept pushing, just like I always did. It was my own fault I was here, If I had just listened—

The thoughts running through my head were cut short when the Grounder grabbed a hold of my arm, pulling me from the ground and to my feet. I tried to resist his efforts to pull me further down the hall we were in but to no avail.

He dragged me down the dim hallway, his grip tightening on my arm with every attempt I made to free myself.

"Please," I cried, trying to dig my heals into the ground to make it hard for him to force me into one of the cells, "Please don't!"

He ignored me as we began walking towards the far wall. As we passed one of the rooms which was blocked off by a metal barred door, a voice spoke, "Avery?"

I whipped my head around to see Murphy, his face pushed up against one of the cell doors. He was so badly beaten I barely recognized him at first."Oh my God." I whispered, trying to pull free from the Grounder once again, "Murphy!" I yelled, letting out a grunt of pain as the Grounder violently pulled me away from Murphy's cell.

It was common knowledge that Murphy and I did not get along, but he was still one of us and knowing I wasn't alone here made me feel the slightest bit better.

"They're gonna get you to try and talk!" Murphy yelled as I was pulled further and further away from him, "Just be strong!"

That was the last thing I heard from him before I was thrust into a separate cell, my knees and hands screaming in pain as they landed on the cool, damp stone that made up the small space. "Please." I begged once again, looking up at the man who just stared down at me blankly, "Please don't do this to me."

---

I held in a mangled cry as a Grounder's fist made contact with my face once again, his hand now covered in a mixture of my blood and his own. Not long after they had locked me up in the cell they had dragged me into a room that I could only describe as a torture room, several instruments meant to inflict pain were laid out on a table in front of us. I was tied to a column, my wrists bound above my head.

"Tell us," a female Grounder demanded, standing in front of me, her voice filled with venom, "Tell us about your people."

I shook my head as tears streamed down my cheeks. I refused to say a word. I knew that if I did it was putting everyone back at camp in danger. Finn, Octavia, Raven...Bellamy, everyone I cared about could die if I said anything.

She tilted her head in frustration ,"We already know you are sky people," she began, standing up and moving to the other side of the room, picking up a piece of metal and examining it, "In fact, we know a lot about you."

I froze, my breathing ragged as I pulled my teary eyes up to look at her. 

I soon began to realize what she meant. Murphy had told them everything. I wasn't surprised, he had no loyalty to us and who knew how long he had been here. A person can only handle so much pain before they begin to talk, and when you have no one to protect it makes it that much easier.

I shook my head slightly, revealing to her that I wasn't going to say anything. I wouldn't have been surprised if they just decided to kill me, with Murphy here they didn't need me, especially if I wasn't going to talk.

The woman nodded, giving a slight smile of pity as she took the metal rod and plunged it into the flame. She turned to the other man in the room, saying something in a language that I couldn't understand.

The man nodded as he approached me, tearing open the bottom of my shirt to reveal my bare stomach.

I looked up with wide eyes as I shook my head, realizing what they were about to do, "No!" I screamed, trying to free my hands to no avail, "No!" I repeated, my cries echoing off the walls.

The woman walked closer to me, so close I could feel the heat from the rod, "You don't want to speak? You get punished." she announced, the words barely leaving her mouth by the time she pressed the scolding metal into my stomach. 

I let out a scream of pain as the hot metal burned my bare skin. I could smell my flesh burning, similar to what I smelt when Raven had electrocuted the Grounder who stabbed Finn. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I bit down harshly on my lip to avoid crying out again.

As they continued to inflict any and all kinds of pain on me, all I could think about was the fact that I had let this happened to another human being.

Maybe this was what you called karma.

im so sad for poor avs :( any wow john murphy welcome back buddy! do you think avery will speak to the grounders, or do you think she will be able to keep it all in to protect her friends?

comment and let me know what you thought! :)

-maddy xo