10. oh, hello

A pained silence had fallen over Bellamy and I as we made our way back to camp, Atom's body being carried between the two of us

Bellamy carried the load of the weight, my arms burning from the exertion. He had noticed the way I winced as we walked, and had automatically taken the burden of it. 

"We couldn't have done anything." I finally spoke, voice wavering. "We both would have died if we stayed out there any longer."

I couldn't tell if my words were to convince Bellamy or myself more. Nonetheless, he looked over at me. "When I came to get you...I should have grabbed Atom, too."

"No." I argued instantly. "You couldn't have, Bellamy. There was no way."

His eyes drifted back to the forest in front of us. Our camp could now be seen, the campfire illuminating the night sky. 

As we neared, my heart began to hammer in my chest again at the prospect of Octavia learning of Atom's death. I didn't want to see my best friend's heart break. It already hurt enough envisioning her reaction. 

"I've got him." Bellamy said, taking all of the weight from my arms. "Can you—uh— can you talk to Octavia?"

I looked toward him, noting the pain on his face. He didn't want to see Octavia's heartbreak anymore than I did. "Yeah." I whispered, the two of sharing a final uneasy look before stepping into the thick of camp. 

At our arrival, everyone in camp quieted down. One person noted the body in Bellamy's hands, and then another, and another. 

No one dared say a word as Bellamy gently laid Atom's body down by the fire, draping a jacket over his face. 

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, turning from the scene to search for Octavia. I prayed that she hadn't seen our arrival. 

Luckily, I found her sitting by the Dropship. As I made my way toward her, she stood up in exasperation. "There you are!" She exclaimed. "Did Bellamy and Atom come back with you?"

Damnit.

"Yeah." I answered, forcing a smile onto my face. It didn't reach my eyes, and I think Octavia could sense that. 

"How's Jasper?" I questioned, attempting to steer the conversation in another direction, at least for a moment. 

She looked at me skeptically. "He's okay. Clarke and your brother got back just before you guys and got him the medicine."

I nodded, the sad smile still on my face. "Good. That's good."

"Aves." Octavia pressed, her eyes searching my own. "What's going on?"

People had begun to gather around the fire, everyone wanting to get a look at who was underneath the jacket. Unfortunately, this caught Octavia's attention.