95. tensions

-Avery-

After Everett had dropped me off, I had made it back to Arkadia in a short amount of time, desperate to ensure the safety of my friends. I received little flack at the gates, being let in quickly as the guards watched me in shock.

It was Raven who saw me first, and she had looked at my like I was a ghost, "I thought you were dead!" she had cried as she pulled me into a bone crushing hug. She then proceeded to explain that she had radioed me after the explosion, but when she received no response she assumed the worst. Her face then fell as she started pulling me toward the ship, instructing me to get to the mess hall as soon as possible. Apparently they were holding a memorial for those lost, and Bellamy was about to lay me to rest.

I had rushed in, incidentally causing as scene in the process. Bellamy wore the same expression as Raven had when his eyes fell on me- complete disbelief.

Now, as I held onto Bellamy as tight as possible, I couldn't help but forget about all the others in the room for a moment. He held me close, and at that moment I never wanted to let go. But, as I've learned, things often don't work in my favour.

I pulled away from him at the sound of more people entering the room. As I turned, I saw a group of guards approaching Pike. Their eyes scanned the room as they spoke to him, the only words I was able to pick up were "Grounders" and "tree line".

I nervously looked to Bellamy who was gripping onto my hand, as Pike marched over to Abby and Kane, telling them that there were 300 Grounders camped outside of our walls. I wasn't entirely sure what had happened after the explosion at Mount Weather, but I had a feeling fear and mistrust were common emotions running through most of our people right now. Considering Everett had eluded to some tensions between us, I knew those feelings were reciprocated on the side of the Grounders as well.

There was some back and forth, Abby and Kane explaining to Pike that they were aware of the army. It was only when Pike balked in surprise, raising his voice that the rest of the room became alerted. I leaned into Bellamy as Kane tried to diffuse everyone's worries, letting them know that this was not an army, but rather a peacekeeping force sent by the Commander.

Pike continued pushing, causing Abby to speak up. But it didn't matter what she said, Pike was determined to sway the opinions of the rest of the group, condemning the Grounders, and creating tension in the room. My blood began to boil, who did this guy think he was? He had been here for a couple of days max. He had no idea what was truly going on.

I felt nerves begin to bubble up inside me as murmurs began flying around the room, people becoming increasingly angered. Bellamy shifted his weight, clearly on edge as well.

A man beside Bellamy and I spoke up, "You," he called, pointing a shaky finger in Lincoln's direction, "You don't belong here!"

My anger only increased as I took a step away from Bellamy, "Back off." I snapped, ready to step in front of the man. Before I had the chance, the man launched something in the direction of Lincoln. It was only when it struck Lincoln across the head that I realized it was a rock.

"Hey!" I screamed, my voice instantly being lost in the chaos that began to ensue. Bellamy grabbed a hold of me, pulling me along with him as he rushed towards Lincoln just as people began swarming. Bellamy pulled a few men away, trying to free Lincoln of the completely unwarranted attack.

Despite my exhaustion and pain stricken body, I stepped in, aggressively shoving away anyone who tried to get anywhere near Lincoln.

The pandemonium only lasted a matter of moments, as a loud whistle ripped through the room. It was Pike. I glared toward him with angry eyes as he spoke, claiming that our enemy wasn't in this camp, but out there.

I stood, fuming in anger as I spoke up, "You don't know anything about who our enemy is." I spat, gathering the attention of everyone in the room. It was clear everyone was expecting something else, but at that point I had nothing else to give.

Bellamy didn't say anything as he grabbed my hand, beginning to pull me from the room. As I followed behind him, my angry eyes stayed locked on one person- Pike.

—-

It seemed that our sweet reunion was short lived, as now Bellamy marched down the hall, anger in his eyes as I struggled to keep up.

"What was that?" He snapped, stopping to turn and look at me, "49 people just died because of the Grounders, Avery! I almost lost you, and you expect me and everyone else just to trust these people."

I clenched my jaw, "49 of our people died because of Azgeda. They do not represent all Grounders, Bellamy." I answered, relaying the information that Everett had told me on our journey back. "You heard Abby!" I continued, my arm flying out to point back toward where we had just left, "They're a peacekeeping troop."

Bellamy rolled his eyes, "You're smarter than this, Avery." he muttered, turning and beginning to walk once again.

I chased after him, my eyes ablaze, "Smarter than what, Bellamy? Smarter than to trust Pike? A man that's been here for a matter of days? I've been here months Bellamy, months of peace with the Grounders. And we're going to throw that all away because he tells us to?"

"Three months ago you would have been totally on board with this." He snipped, turning to look at me with angry eyes, "You hated the Grounders."

I felt myself shrink back as I bit the inside of my cheek, "Three months ago I hated the Grounders because my brother died at their hands" I answered, causing Bellamy's face to softened, "But I can't hate them for doing what they needed to do to protect their people." I added, my voice lowering.

Bellamy let out a small sigh as he ran his hand through his hair, "I don't want to do this right now." He muttered, his eyes roaming across my body, "You need to get to medical." he pointed out, reaching out to take my hand.

I pulled away, my eyes meeting his as a hurt expression fell across his face. "I can take myself." I whispered coldly, not giving him a second look as I turned and left him standing alone.

Tears of frustration filled my eyes as I marched through the Ark. The Grounders took my brother away from me, and now I was afraid they were inadvertently driving a wedge between me and the person I loved most in this world.