49. secrets

I tore my eyes away from Maya and Jasper as a loud alarm began to echo throughout the room. Everyone froze, looking around in confusion. Clarke and I turned to look at each other, our eyes curious.

"What's going on?" I asked in worry.

Maya said something to Jasper before turning and making her way towards the exit, towards us.

Clarke sat up from her bunk, "Let's find out." she announced, jumping down from the bunk, blocking Maya's path. I stood to move beside her, my eyes meeting the anxious ones of Maya.

"What does the alarm mean?" I asked, my eyes wandering up to one of the speakers above head where the noise was blaring from.

Maya wasted no time in telling us what was going on, "It means the surface patrol group is back and someone needs medical attention. I have to go to quarantine." she explained, before turning and leaving.

Clarke and I shared a brief look before moving to follow her, only being stopped when someone grabbed out arms, "What are you guys doing?" Jasper questioned.

I turned to look at him, as did Clarke, "They might have found survivors, our friends could be here, and if they are we have a right to know." I answered.

Jasper looked taken aback, "I'm pretty sure we shouldn't just go-"

I didn't hear the end of his sentence due to the fact that Clarke and I had already taken off in pursuit of Maya. I could hear Jasper's footsteps as he chased after us.

The alarms didn't stop as an orange light flashed, lighting up the dark hallways. I kept at pace with Clarke, Jasper now catching up to us.

We had just rounded the corner to see Maya and a few other men dressing in the hazmat suits. My eyes caught the gaze of one of them-Landen. I ignored him as I turned to look at the man who was explaining what happened to Maya.

Apparently one was dead, the other had taken his gloves and mask off to treat his partner and was now waiting to be treated. The three of us moved towards the door. "Who attacked them?" Clarke asked.

The man who was speaking looked at us in confusion, "What are they doing here?" He asked, not answering our question.

Clarke rolled her eyes as she swiped a key card off of a man standing closest to us and pulled me in the direction of the door.

"Hey!" the man yelled, "You can't go in there, it's not safe."

Clarke barely turned around, "It is for us."

She scanned the key, causing the large metal door to swing open. Taking a step inside, she turned to Jasper and I, "Come on."

I was about to follow her when a voice called my name. I turned to see Landen watching me with pleading eyes, "Don't go in there, Avery."

I stared back at him for a moment, giving him an apologetic look, "I have to. I'm sorry." I muttered before rushing after Clarke.

Clarke and I sprinted down the hallway, looking for the room where either of the men were being held.

"Guys, slow down!" Jasper panted as he chased after the two of us.

We only slowed once we came to a door. Clarke didn't hesitate before pushing it open.

"Why are you pushing these people so hard?" Jasper questioned, "They're-"

Clarke cut him off as she rushed towards the body on the table, "They're lying to us." she finished.

Jasper's face clouded with confusion, "What are you-"

Clarke placed her hand on the chest of the man. He was covered in some sort of plastic, but it was clear to see that he had been hit in the chest with something, "It's a bullet wound."

I shook my head, "Grounders don't use guns." I pointed out, realizing what this meant.

The ever so optimistic Jasper was stunned, but defended the Mountain Men, "Unless the Grounders got our guns."

It was Clarke's turn to shake her head, "I don't think so. I think our people are alive out there."

As soon as Clarke finished her sentence the door opened to reveal one of the doctor, "Get them out of here!" she ordered with force. As she walked further into the room it was clear to see why she wanted us out so bad. With her was who I presumed was the man who had unsuited. He was covered in red, oozing blisters from the chest up.

I gasped at the sight of him, in shock at his condition. I remembered what Landen had told me, that if they were exposed to the outside world without proper protection their bodies wouldn't be able to take the radiation. Nonetheless, the sight of this man sent shivers up my spine, but also triggered a curiosity inside of me. Who has shot his partner, and what made him take off his gear? All questions I was determined to find out.

---

"I'll talk to Wallace, you talk to Larkin." Clarke explained as we walked back to the dining room. We had obviously been kicked out of the quarantine unit and now wanted answers. Jasper had disappeared to find Maya the minute we were out of the medical ward.

"Landen." I corrected.

Clarke nodded, "Yeah, sorry."

I gave her a small smile as we entered the dining room. It was full today, people were laughing, eating, talking, no cares in the world. I spotted Landen immediately, he was sitting by himself at a table near the back. His eyes glued to his plate.

"Good luck." I muttered to Clarke, giving he arm a squeeze before heading in the direction of the dark haired boy.

I slid into the seat across from him, letting out a small sigh as I did so. Landen didn't say anything, nor did he look up from his plate.

I cleared my throat before speaking, "Hey."

Landen shook his head, barely looking up, "Did you find what you were looking for in there?" he bit harshly.

I was taken aback, and didn't even have the chance to speak before Landen cut in again, "Is this some kind of joke to you, Avery? Because this is my life we're talking about here, mine and hundreds of others." He was now looking at me, right at me.

I bit down on my lip, trying to stop myself from saying something I didn't want to. "I have a life too, Landen. My life was out there, it still is. Until I'm with my brother and my friend's I'm not just going to pretend that everything is okay. Sorry if I embarrassed you or something, but I'm doing what's right for me."

Landen's face fell as he shook his head, "Avery, that's not-"

I stood up, my chair screeching against the floor, "Forget it, Landen."

I was fuming as I made my way back to the living quarters. I assumed Clarke would be with Wallace for a while, hopefully getting the information that I couldn't. When I got back to the large room, it was empty. Everyone was still down for breakfast which means I had a moment to myself.

I sat down on my bunk, dropping my face into my hands as I let out an agitated scream. I wanted out of here, I wanted to be done with these Mountain People, I wanted to be with Finn and Octavia, I wanted to be with Bellamy.

"Avery?" My head shot up to see Jasper staring at me in confusion.

I didn't even try to slap on a fake smile, "Hey, Jasper."

He came to sit beside me on my bunk, "What's going on?"

I shrugged, "I just miss Finn." I picked at my finger nails before looking up again, " I-I don't even know if he's alive, Jasper. I just want to know that he's okay."

Jasper gave me a sad smile as he pulled me into a hug, "Finn's probably out there looking for you right now. The guards will find him, and bring him in, I'm sure of it. He'll be here in no time."

I pulled away from his chest to force a smile on my face, "I'm sure you're right."

Total lie. Jasper couldn't be more wrong and I knew that for a fact. Finn wasn't going to be brought in, because I was going to be getting out.