118. safe passage

I'm not on the beach anymore, but instead back at Arkadia.

The sky is dark, but the place that was once abandoned when we left mere days ago is now full of life.

Fires litter the field beyond our walls as hundreds if not thousands of people mill about. Tents are set up for as far as I can see.

Upon closer inspection, I realize that the people beyond our walls are not my people...they're Grounders.

The realization hits me harder than I could handle, and I physically feel myself stumble backward. It's the night Finn died.

I looked around frantically, desperate to know what exactly is going on. Has he already died? Or is he still out there, alone and afraid? My most prominent question is what in the world am I doing here.

"Aves!"

My lungs feel as if they had filled with water and finding breath does not come easily. It's him.

Slowly, I turn ever so slightly, and when I do I am met with the scene of my twin brother walking toward me, a small grin on his face.

"What's the matter with you?" he questions, "You look like you just saw a ghost."

The chants from the Grounders begin to fill the night sky. They're calling for Finn.

"Finn!" I snap, finally coming out of my trance. "You need to go!" I order, reaching out to grab onto him.

My hand meets the solid flesh of his upper arm, not going right through like I expected. He isn't some apparition, he's really here.

He lets out a loud laugh, the one I have missed so much since I lost him. "What are you talking about?" he questions, looking around as if all of this is remotely normal.

I look into my brother's brown eyes that so closely resemble my own. They're full of life once again, something I hadn't seen for months.

"Finn, please." I beg, "Please, you need to go."

My heart is pounding against my rib cage, the anxiety building within. I can't let him die again, I can't lose him again.

"Come on!" I all but scream, still gripping onto him as I try to pull him away from the camp. "I know where we can go. I can keep you safe. I can-"

"Avery." Finn's voice no longer holds any amusement, but instead is laced with seriousness. "I am going to die."

The terror rises as I shake my head. "No!" I snap. "You're not going to die, Finn. I can save you this time, I can do better."

"It's time."

This is a new voice that speaks this time, but it's one that I recognize instantly. His voice automatically causes me to relax ever so slightly.

"Bellamy!" I gasp, turning to look at him as he approached Finn and I, "Bell, you've got to help me. You've got to help me get Finn out of here. We can go-"

Bellamy's eyes are dark as he removes my hand from Finn's arm. "No." he answers, moving to pin Finn's hands behind his back. "It's time." he repeated.

I feel like I have been hit in the stomach, all the air knocked from my lungs. "What are you doing!?" I scream, scrambling to follow after them as Bellamy begins to drag Finn away from me. "Stop!" I pleaded, "Stop! You can't! I-I just got him back!"

Finn looks back at me, his eyes now full of terror. "Aves, help me." he whispers, his words causing my heart to break.

"Bellamy!" My voice comes out sounding strangled as I finally reach them. Grasping onto Bellamy's arm I begin pleading once again. "Bell, stop! Please, just let him go."